Wake Forest vs Wallace-Rose Hill

14 Posts
4 Users
5 Likes
Vik-Val 86
(@vik-val-86)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Wake Forest is 4-1 and is a 4A powerhouse team and Wallace-Rose Hill is 4-1 and a 2A powerhouse team. Interesting matchup. I would just like to hear the thoughts with game. 

Dale Ross
(@daleross)
Illustrious Member Admin Registered

Posted by: @vik-val-86

Wake Forest is 4-1 and is a 4A powerhouse team and Wallace-Rose Hill is 4-1 and a 2A powerhouse team. Interesting matchup. I would just like to hear the thoughts with game. 

I've questions about Wake Forest that I don't know if they can be answered in this game. Typically the difference in 4A Vs 2A, especially powerhouse teams is depth.  You can have them go all out for 1-Quarter and have a great game. But as time goes on, the depth begins to show. Two way players get tired, injured etc which depletes the 2A team. 2nd half can be very difficult. I believe that could play out here as well.

Vik-Val 86 reacted
ReplyQuote
Vik-Val 86
(@vik-val-86)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

@daleross 

Thanks for your input. I would have to agree about the depth issue. It will be interesting to see how this game turns out. 

ReplyQuote
Dale Ross
(@daleross)

@vik-val-86

Wake Forest has been working the weight room now for years seriously. That will have a huge impact on that depth issue as well. How can this not be at least a 2-score game?

ReplyQuote
Vik-Val 86
(@vik-val-86)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

@daleross

Not sure what score I would give but I agree about your analysis above with the depth. I could see WRH staying with Wake Forest for maybe quarter n half  but as the game goes I see Wake Forest wearing down WRH.  WF with a 2-3 score game would not surprise me. 

ReplyQuote
Jim West
(@jimwest)
Member Registered

Both teams rely heavily on their rushing attack.  Wake Forest will pass the ball on about 10-15 plays; Wallace-Rose Hill rarely throws the ball more than 10 times.

To defeat Wake Forest, I believe you will need a healthy mix between running and passing the ball.  With Wallace-Rose Hill's offense, I could see Wake Forest loading up the box and daring Wallace-Rose Hill to throw the ball.  

While Wake Forest lost to Cardinal Gibbons 27-24, they actually played a stellar first half.  However, in the 2nd half, it was all Cardinal Gibbons.  Wake Forest attributed to the loss by having too many penalties called on them.  In addition, Cardinal Gibbons had some success throwing the ball.  The Crusaders had over 400 yards of total offense.  I've seen the Crusaders play several times, and when their passing game is working it makes their rushing attack even more effective.  

Wallace-Rose Hill is a tremendous 2A team that is a contender for the 2A state championship.  That being stated, I don't think they have the passing game or the depth to win the game.  For Wallace-Rose Hill to win, they have to control the time of possession, and without a strong air attack to keep Wake Forest from loading the box, I don't see them moving the chains consistently.  

Vik-Val 86 reacted
ReplyQuote
Vik-Val 86
(@vik-val-86)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yes weight room workout is a big plus. Wake Forest has dominated in recent years. I believe 3 State 4AA Championship game titles is very impressive. Other schools like Mallard Creek has big weight room workouts. It will be interesting to see if  Wake Forest can make another Title run. Or at least make it to the State Championship game again. 

This post was modified 5 years ago by Vik-Val 86

Jim West reacted
ReplyQuote
Vik-Val 86
(@vik-val-86)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

If I was to give a score I think a 35-13 Wake Forest win would be within reason. We will find out. 

Jim West reacted
ReplyQuote
Jim West
(@jimwest)
Member Registered

@vik-val-86

That’s a very good guess.

I think many were surprised that Cardinal Gibbons defeated Wake Forest.  I was not overly surprised.  Here are my reasons:

1. Wake Forest can struggle in the beginning of the year.  I saw them in a tough game against Middle Creek last year (August), and it was a draw thru 3 quarters.
  2. Cardinal Gibbons’ talent.  The Crusaders are a legit top 10 team that can attack a defense on the ground and through the air.
  3. Cardinal Gibbons’ discipline.  Some teams mature faster than others, and Cardinal Gibbons is one of those teams.  I would not want to open the season against a team like Cardinal Gibbons.
  4. Graduation.  Wake Forest has loads of talent, but the Cougars lost a lot of veteran talent from last year...and especially on defense.

All that being stated, Wake Forest has a high ceiling.  If Wake Forest and Cardinal Gibbons played again in November, I would pick Wake Forest.  Reggie Lucas and staff can match any program in the Tar Heel state.

ReplyQuote
David Powers
(@mrhonda)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @vik-val-86

Yes weight room workout is a big plus. Wake Forest has dominated in recent years. I believe 3 State 4AA Championship game titles is very impressive. Other schools like Mallard Creek has big weight room workouts. It will be interesting to see if  Wake Forest can make another Title run. Or at least make it to the State Championship game again. 

Assuming Hood stays healthy, much of it depends on where Richmond goes come playoff time. 

ReplyQuote
Vik-Val 86
(@vik-val-86)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I will have to say I was surprise that WRH kept it close like they did. At halftime it was 28-21 Wake Forest. In the 3rd at one time it was 35-28 WF. WF would go on to pull it out 43-28. Hats off to WRH  for staying with WF. 

ReplyQuote
Dale Ross
(@daleross)

@vik-val-86

2-Score difference... occurred late... related to that depth thing I mentioned?

Vik-Val 86 reacted
ReplyQuote
Jim West
(@jimwest)
Member Registered

Wallace Rose-Hill rushed the ball 67 times for 503 yards while going 0-2 passing for zero yards.  Wake Forest had 39 yards of rushing for 311 yards while going 3-7 passing for 125 yards.  

With approximately 10 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, Wake Forest led 35-21.  for the rest of the game, each team scored exactly one TD.  

I'm really surprised that WRH rushed for over 500 yards on the Cougar defense.  I have a feeling that the Bulldogs had a sizable time of possession lead over Wake Forest.  

ReplyQuote
Dale Ross
(@daleross)

@jimwest

yes, those are some impressive rushing yards.... makes one - or at least me - question Wake Forest run defense.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: