Thursday, Aug 22 Hough Vs Butler

19 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Dale Ross
(@daleross)
Illustrious Member Admin Registered
Topic starter  

A lot of big match ups early this year; and this is one of them. Two Title contenders going at  it early.

What are your thoughts?

Topic Tags
Randy
(@randyrimland)
Trusted Member

a great venue, better than memorial stadium and as good as UNCC with better parking, should be a great game I'm going and I'm excited for a double header that starts at 5pm

ReplyQuote
Warriors1
(@warriors1)

Hough, New QB, New WR, New DB'S, New LB'S, New DL,  I'm going with Butler.

ReplyQuote
Dale Ross
(@daleross)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @randyrimland

a great venue, better than memorial stadium and as good as UNCC with better parking, should be a great game I'm going and I'm excited for a double header that starts at 5pm

Yeah, but Memorial with upgrades would be tops. You enjoy the lighting, I'll go get more tacos.

ReplyQuote
Randy
(@randyrimland)
Trusted Member

@daleross

memorial with LCD lights would be the best great atmosphere and a downtown view to die for

if I recall from my days in Mexico City the food was amazing and made me quit eating Mexican food in the US (for a few weeks)

ReplyQuote
Dale Ross
(@daleross)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @randyrimland

@daleross

memorial with LCD lights would be the best great atmosphere and a downtown view to die for

if I recall from my days in Mexico City the food was amazing and made me quit eating Mexican food in the US (for a few weeks)

The food I am having is awesome, and the experience with the people I am working with is unforgettable good.

ReplyQuote
Vik-Val 86
(@vik-val-86)
Trusted Member

Big matchup here. It’s hard to say how this game turns out. Wouldn’t be surprised if the game is decided by 7 or less. 

ReplyQuote
Dale Ross
(@daleross)
Topic starter  

@vik-val-86

First games like this are hard to call. Sometimes it can take a little time for a team like Hough to fit the pieces; not so much for Butler. I think Butler will be better prepared. A lot of talent at Hough, but a lot of things to mix into the soup

ReplyQuote
Jim West
(@jimwest)
Member Registered

Butler probably has much to prove, and as such, I think they might have a psychological edge.  In some ways, I think Butler has been overlooked in the Mecklenburg County area.  Much of the talk surrounds Myers Park, Vance, Hough, and Mallard Creek.

I'm not going to predict a Butler victory, but the Bulldogs will be as ready as any team when they face Hough.  Hough might have the most raw talent, but I feel like it might take a month before we see Hough clicking on all 8 cylinders.  Later on in the season, Hough would be a team that I would not want to face.

ReplyQuote
Dale Ross
(@daleross)
Topic starter  

@jimwest

While I can agree that much of the talk is about other schools. I'm not so certain that it is as important to Butler.  Now that is directly to your point... indirectly, Butler knows that they've slipped from where they were at the start of the decade. In that regard, they know there is room to improve and thus motivation to come out strong. So... indirectly I agree with you 🙂

ReplyQuote
Jim West
(@jimwest)
Member Registered

@daleross

So you don't think the Butler kids have bought in that their program has slipped and may want to prove to the world otherwise?

ReplyQuote
Dale Ross
(@daleross)
Topic starter  

@jimwest

That's not what I said 🙂

I said, and believe that they know they are not where they were a decade ago.

Proving to the world, no. Proving to themselves... YES! A different way to get to the same thing you're saying.

ReplyQuote
Jim West
(@jimwest)
Member Registered

@daleross

I asked a question. 

Do you believe that the kids in the program have bought into the opinion that the Butler program has slipped?  I still can't tell if you believe that or not.  

ReplyQuote
Dale Ross
(@daleross)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @jimwest

@daleross

I asked a question. 

Do you believe that the kids in the program have bought into the opinion that the Butler program has slipped?  I still can't tell if you believe that or not.  

What I don't believe is that coaches are teaching the kids that pulling the program back up is for anyone outside the program. So that Langston will rank them higher in the Sweet 16, or that people will talk more favorably about them on messages boards. I'm doubting that is motivation, because that is not how champions motivate.

I do believe that the coaches stress the fact that Butler teams have not been performing to the level of other previous Butler programs; thus yes, they've slipped. Motivation of a championship team would be to gain self-respect; not external respect which is what I think the original statement was.

Only the coaches know the answer to, who has bought into what; in this situation if the past few seasons for Butler has shown a decline - aka slip - . I'll not pretend to know the answer to that question.

However, I believe the coaching staff is good enough to stress the point of improvement. I don't believe the slip has anything to do with coaching effort, player motivation. Has more to do with other situations.

ReplyQuote
Jim West
(@jimwest)
Member Registered

@daleross

I see the motivation between athletes at competing schools.  When I was a kid, athletes were concerned about what the newspapers stated, but they were more concerned about the opinions of athletes at different schools.  I imagine kids at Butler are hearing from other football foes that their program has slipped.  I imagine that the Butler kids are willing to prove to these other schools that their program is still in the upper echelon of football programs.  Being perceived by others as an underdog can be strong motivation.  

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: