36 Posts
5 Users
9 Likes
Jim West
(@jimwest)
Member Registered

Posted by: @daleross

@johndoe

Hi John  ... Jim is from North Stanly and that says it all. He's relating what was said 30+ years ago. I wonder what was said about N. Stanly ..  In the early 80's I went to that area weekly ... Culp Lumber , Wisscassett mills - did I spell it correctly? - Collins & Aikman , Norwood fertilizer , Norwood Manufacturing  Alcoa... Trust me , they were backwoods folks.   Lol

I miss those days  A lot good friends  I arrived at Wisscassett and learned that my wife was at the hospital is labor with my first child back in Charlotte. Darn pager wasnt working ...

You haven't lived if you have never waded through Badin lake during the 60's through the 80's while Alcoa was polluting Badin Lake.  After swimming in Badin Lake (and right across from the plant), our collective feet would be stained different colors.  When I lived in Badin, we would wash our cars on Friday and the aluminum dust would cover the vehicles by Monday.

Backwards?  Oh yeah.

This post was modified 5 years ago by Jim West

ReplyQuote
Dale Ross
(@daleross)
Illustrious Member Admin Registered

@jimwest

@JohnDoe probably came from twitter, but who really knows? I tweeted this forum post hoping to get some discussion going. I didn't pay attention to the fact that @footsolider left out Parkwood. Of course it was caught, and my integrity questioned.

ReplyQuote
Dale Ross
(@daleross)

@jimwest

I thought I said, backwoods... now I have to go back and check. Got to get my stereotyping down right you know. 

I've only fished in Badin lake a few times, everyone of them with Woody Hunt.

ReplyQuote
Jim West
(@jimwest)
Member Registered

@jimwest

North Stanly... LOL

OK, back on topic... which would be the conference. 

I like this conference's chances of putting two teams in at least regional finals, possibly state championship. Without question one of the toughest conferences in the state.

It would not be the first time either.  Just as recent as last year, both Weddington (3AA) and Charlotte Catholic (3A) made the championship game...and won.

The team that could surprise folks is Piedmont.  Their double wing offense might be history.  While their talent is thin, the Panthers hired a strong HC this past off-season.  I see Piedmont opening up their playbook this upcoming season and playing more aggressively.  

ReplyQuote
Jim West
(@jimwest)
Member Registered

@jimwest

I thought I said, backwoods... now I have to go back and check. Got to get my stereotyping down right you know. 

I've only fished in Badin lake a few times, everyone of them with Woody Hunt.

Woody Hunt....the husband of my high school US History teacher.  I imagine he would be a good fishing partner.

Backwoods....backwards....back in the 1980's, North Stanly checked both boxes.  

What is really interesting about this conference is that Union County fields 7 3A schools within the conference.  The county also has Porter Ridge (4A), Union Academy (1A), Central Academy (2A), and Forest Hills (2A).  Back in the 1980's, Sun Valley was always 3A while Monroe and Forest Hills fluctuated between 2A and 3A.  Piedmont and Parkwood were 2A schools.  During the 1980's and 1990's, Forest Hills was the premier football school in Union County.  Between Coach Faircloth and Coach Lowery, the Yellow Jackets would dominate the football scene.  For about 10-12 years, Forest Hills would never lose a conference game.

Oh how things have changed.

ReplyQuote
Dale Ross
(@daleross)

@jimwest

Woody had an office in the same complex as mine. We became decent friends. He gave me tickets to ACC Tournament several times. The company he worked for would get them to give to Harris Teeter bigwigs his customer. Woody "sold" the plastic bags used in grocery stores. As he told me, his officials pass got him into any ACC game he wanted, including Tournament games. So he didn't need tickets and he would sometimes give the HT tickets since they had so many, and the guys at HT got tickets as well from HT.

We became friends after a conversation we had in the hallway, he told me the story about Jimmy V; Valvano asked him if he would give him a technical foul for what he was thinking,..

ReplyQuote
Jim West
(@jimwest)
Member Registered

@daleross

...and Woody replied "No.  I won't give you a T for what you are thinking".

Jimmy V replied "Good.  Because I think you suck!"

classic.

ReplyQuote
Footsoldier
(@footsoldier)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @jimwest

@johndoe

Are you seriously offended?  You do realize that I graduated from a high school (North Stanly) that had a higher percentage of rednecks than Parkwood?  

Back when North Stanly and Charlotte Catholic were Rocky River foes (1981-1992 and 2001-2004), @footsoldier would gas up the North Stanly buses, check the oil and tire pressures, and clean the windshields just to ensure that North Stanly could make it to Catholic so the Pope boys could wipe the floor with my team.

Come think of it, @footsoldier probably did the same thing with Parkwood, but I would hate to denigrate your school any further.

Hahahahahahahahaha those Comet clowns rolled into Keffer one year and I was there with John Teal and he counted 21 soldiers dressed out for a game against #redpain AT KEFFER.  Even Parkwood isn’t that ridiculous.  It just smells bad.  Woooooooooooo. 🤣 

“When you run your fingers through the turf at Keffer Stadium, you will live FOREVER!!”

Jim West reacted
ReplyQuote
Dale Ross
(@daleross)

@daleross

...and Woody replied "No.  I won't give you a T for what you are thinking".

Jimmy V replied "Good.  Because I think you suck!"

classic.

Yeah... Valvano told that story at a Red White game, but didn't say who the official was. My response to Woody was, THAT WAS YOU??? Woody said Valano didn't say it until he had turned his back to him. he had a lot of other stories about Valano and even more about Lefty. He claimed he he helped Lefty get his jobs at Davidson and Maryland.

Jim West reacted
ReplyQuote
Jim West
(@jimwest)
Member Registered

Posted by: @footsoldier

@johndoe

Are you seriously offended?  You do realize that I graduated from a high school (North Stanly) that had a higher percentage of rednecks than Parkwood?  

Back when North Stanly and Charlotte Catholic were Rocky River foes (1981-1992 and 2001-2004), @footsoldier would gas up the North Stanly buses, check the oil and tire pressures, and clean the windshields just to ensure that North Stanly could make it to Catholic so the Pope boys could wipe the floor with my team.

Come think of it, @footsoldier probably did the same thing with Parkwood, but I would hate to denigrate your school any further.

Hahahahahahahahaha those Comet clowns rolled into Keffer one year and I was there with John Teal and he counted 21 soldiers dressed out for a game against #redpain AT KEFFER.  Even Parkwood isn’t that ridiculous.  It just smells bad.  Woooooooooooo. 🤣 

Charlotte Catholic leads that series 16 games to 1.  The Cougars and the Comets first played in 1966 (non-conference game) and would then play as conference foes for 16 years (1981-1992 and 2001-2004).  The only year that North Stanly won was in 1990....probably the worst football season in the history of Charlotte Catholic football.  

North Stanly could have dressed out 51 instead of 21 players...and the outcome would never be in doubt.

ReplyQuote
Footsoldier
(@footsoldier)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @footsoldier

@johndoe

Put on your big boy pants and grow a set Johnny boy.  There’s always gonna be a little jack-jawin’ going on in here.  Wet the bed somewhere else.

But we don't go too far with it, right? 🙂 I reserve it to friends, people I know because they know it is all in jest.

Dale yes.  And for the record it’s ALWAYS been your policy in maintaining decorum at CV.  Been scolded a few times over the years by you for being a RABID homer.  Consistency is truly one of your virtues.  We need to shake hands again my friend.  It has been TOO long.  Let’s get JW in the loop here and talk dates/locations.  Seriously Dale.  I am retired.  Can accommodate ANY schedule at any time anywhere.  Teal too, Pepman, anybody.  Bring ‘em all.  Wing King, Tilted Kilt, anything in Steele Creek dog.  I respect your itinerary and busy schedule.  You tell me.   It’s time man. 

“When you run your fingers through the turf at Keffer Stadium, you will live FOREVER!!”

Dale Ross and Jim West reacted
ReplyQuote
Dale Ross
(@daleross)

@footsoldier 

yes too long. I have a business trip that starts this weekend. when I get back. We will go somewhere. It doesn't have to be Steele creek

ReplyQuote
Johndoe
(@johndoe)

@jimwest

I apologize for my clown response good sir but I would like to ask have u seen that star sophomore on catholic his name is Cho

ReplyQuote
Jim West
(@jimwest)
Member Registered

Posted by: @johndoe

@jimwest

I apologize for my clown response good sir but I would like to ask have u seen that star sophomore on catholic his name is Cho

I've not only have never seen Cho, I have never heard of Cho either. 

ReplyQuote
Dale Ross
(@daleross)

@jimwest

Have you checked roster? I have not...

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share:
Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: