Northern Durham
Southern Alamance
Union Pines
Rose
Clayton
Gray's Creek
Topsail
Eastern Guilford

Lee County is undefeated while Southern Durham's defense has been playing light's out.  After a shaky start, DH Conley has been rolling.  New Hanover also has a nasty defense while Cleveland has been winning many of their games with a running clock.  Northern Durham has lost a few games, but if their offense can move the ball, their defense can beat just about anyone.  Don't forget about Southeast Guilford either!  The 3AA East is up for grabs.

Here are the 16 most likely 3AA West participants:

Weddington
Northwest Cabarrus
Watauga
Dudley
Parkland
Alexander Central
AL Brown
TC Roberson
Mount Tabor
Marvin Ridge
Central Cabarrus
Cox Mill
Northern Guilford
Southwest Guilford
Cuthbertson
South Iredell

I consider Weddington to be the favorite out of the 3AA West, but before we give them the crown, let's not forget about Northwest Cabarrus (undefeated), Watauga (scoring on average 52 points a game), Dudley, Parkland, and Mount Tabor.  Northwest Cabarrus might have the best chance of beating Weddington, but one of the Triad teams could also pull off the surprise.  Watauga, on the other hand, might score the most against Weddington, but I don't know if their defense can stop Weddington consistently.

Here are the leading candidates to play in the 3A East:

Southern Nash
Havelock
Eastern Alamance
Terry Sanford
Rocky Mount
Northside
Northern Nash
Jacksonville
Vance County
CB Aycock
Southern Lee
Western Alamance
Swansboro
Hunt
North Brunswick
Williams

While there's not a clear favorite among these teams, I think Eastern Alamance will be the toughest team to beat.  The Eagles have scored at least 40 points in all of their games while holding their opponents to an average of 14 points/game.  Southern Nash's rushing attack and Rocky Mount's defense cannot be ignored.  Havelock, Northside, and Jacksonville will do a great job representing the Coastal Conference.  

...and here are the 16 leading candidates to play in the 3A West:

Kings Mountain
Statesville
AC Reynolds
Crest
Charlotte Catholic
Northeast Guilford
West Henderson
West Rowan
Huss
Parkwood
Monroe
Forestview
Freedom
Hickory
Southern Guilford
St. Stephens

If Kings Mountain takes good care of the ball, they have the best chance of winning the 3A West.  Statesville has played incredibly well all season.  Huss did beat Kings Mountain, so I wouldn't dismiss the Huskies.  As compared to the past decade, Charlotte Catholic has struggled this season, but the Cougars seem to get hot during the playoffs.  

Share:
Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: