Weddington vs Charlotte Catholic

10 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
Vik-Val 86
(@vik-val-86)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Big showdown between to top 3A teams with 5-0 Weddington playing against 2-2 Charlotte Catholic. Last year Catholic beat Weddington 20-0. Also Catholic won the 3A State Championship game and Weddington won the 3AA State Championship game. Probably one of the biggest games in the State. Should be a good one. Like to hear the thoughts with this game. 

Jim West
(@jimwest)
Member Registered

You have to go back to 2009 for the last time Charlotte Catholic lost a conference game.  Charlotte Catholic should be deemed battle-tested, but in some ways, the same can be stated regarding Weddington.  Both teams play outstanding defense.  

I expect a close, low scoring game.  Weddington might be a slim favorite to win this game.

Vik-Val 86 reacted
ReplyQuote
Dale Ross
(@daleross)
Illustrious Member Admin Registered

Posted by: @vik-val-86

Big showdown between to top 3A teams with 5-0 Weddington playing against 2-2 Charlotte Catholic. Last year Catholic beat Weddington 20-0. Also Catholic won the 3A State Championship game and Weddington won the 3AA State Championship game. Probably one of the biggest games in the State. Should be a good one. Like to hear the thoughts with this game. 

OK... Charlotte Catholic has one of the best defenses around. Weddington is know for playing good defense. My question is, how good is Weddington Offense? Will they be able to generate any? I'm expecting a close game, but the give the edge to Catholic on both offense and defense.

@JimWest I happened to be at that game in 2009. It was combination of a down year for Catholic - by Catholic standards - and a very up year for Olympic.

ReplyQuote
Vik-Val 86
(@vik-val-86)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Weddington 45  Catholic 0. 
Wow I didn’t see this one coming. Apparently Catholic more down that I thought. Weddington has shown to be the 3AA team to beat. 

ReplyQuote
Jim West
(@jimwest)
Member Registered

Last week during a Facebook Live session, I stated that it's hard to pick against Charlotte Catholic but I would in this game.  I was thinking Weddington might win by 7 to 12 points.  I had no inkling that Weddington would dominate the Cougars.  

Charlotte Catholic is obviously down this year, but being "down" is relative.  I imagine that Charlotte Catholic is among the top 15 3A squads this year.  

Weddington...wow, just wow.  If a team is to deny Weddington the 3AA crown, who would that team be?

ReplyQuote
Dale Ross
(@daleross)

@jimwest

Right now, we have serious questions  about Charlotte Catholic that I don't think anyone outside of the HC and coordinators can answer. Who can beat Weddington? If Kings Mountain is 3AA, I still think they are a contender for State Championship.

@vik-val-86

Yeah, I'd say they are WAY down based on this result.

ReplyQuote
Jim West
(@jimwest)
Member Registered

@daleross

Kings Mountain's 2018 ADM was about 100 below the 3A/3AA cutoff line.  It's a possibility, but not a likelihood, that Kings Mountain could go 3AA.  Most likely they will go 3A.

If Northwest Cabarrus stays 3AA (last year they were just above the cutoff line), they could give Weddington a good challenge.  Should Northwest Cabarrus drop to 3A, a NWC-KM regional game would be a game to see.

ReplyQuote
Dale Ross
(@daleross)

@jimwest

the biggest thing here... what has happened to Charlotte Catholic. I mean, this is a huge shocker. Not that they lost, that is a mild-surprise but that they were blown out... something is up.

ReplyQuote
KM2ASU
(@km2asu)

Posted by: @jimwest

@daleross

Kings Mountain's 2018 ADM was about 100 below the 3A/3AA cutoff line.  It's a possibility, but not a likelihood, that Kings Mountain could go 3AA.  Most likely they will go 3A.

If Northwest Cabarrus stays 3AA (last year they were just above the cutoff line), they could give Weddington a good challenge.  Should Northwest Cabarrus drop to 3A, a NWC-KM regional game would be a game to see.

From what I've heard, KM's ADM is lower than last year, so we have every reason to believe that we will stay 3A.  The interesting part will be the teams that were right around that cut-off line from last year (Ashbrook, Statesville, NWC).  In just one scenario, with a 3AA team from last year Ashbrook probably not getting in, and a 3A team like Forestview , who didn't get in , then it could move some of those teams around the cut off line up or down.

Jim West reacted
ReplyQuote
Dale Ross
(@daleross)

@km2asu

yeah, it is always hard to predict because of who makes it and who doesn't. Plus changing ADM.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: