Comet Spirit is Alive and Well as North Stanly Defeats Albemarle 20-7

1 Posts
1 Users
2 Likes
Jim West
(@jimwest)
Member Registered
Topic starter  

Last Friday I hopped into my truck and drove the 2 hour trek from Hillsborough to Stanly County so I could attend the North Stanly Class of 1989's reunion festivities. The first item on the reunion agenda involved the 53rd annual rendition of the North Stanly-Albemarle rivalry football game.

Defense dictated the flow of the game as neither team ever got too comfortable on the field. I witnessed several impressive open field tackles from both squads that made the difference between a 3 yard gain and a 6 point score. Both teams' efforts exceeded my high expectations.

At halftime, North Stanly enjoyed a 7-0 lead, and after the 3rd quarter, North Stanly's lead had grown to 14-0. However, Albemarle was marching deep into the Comet territory, and early in the 2nd quarter, Albemarle would hit pay dirt. With over 10 minutes left in the affair, the Comets would lead the Bulldogs 14 to 7.

On the following possession, North Stanly would march the ball down into Bulldog territory. On a 4th and 5, the Bulldog defense would deny the Comets a first down. The Bulldogs had the ball around their 40 yard line. However, Albemarle would not have any luck moving the ball, and the North Stanly defense would return the favor and stop Albemarle on 4th down.

The Comets would run the ball...and the clock down. With around 1 minute left in the game, North Stanly would score their last touchdown. Final score: North Stanly 20, Albemarle 7.

Both squads have bright futures. The Comets and the Bulldogs are well-coached and have strong talent. Furthermore, I was very impressed with the team spirit shown by both schools. The 2019-2020 North Stanly students have made this 1989 North Stanly alum proud.

This topic was modified 4 years ago 2 times by Jim West

Share:
Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: