1A/1AA championship contenders?

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Jim West
(@jimwest)
Member Registered
Topic starter  

After playing around with the likely playoff scenarios and guessing how the final NCHSAA Adjusted Max Preps rankings will end, I believe these 12 teams will be the most likely candidates to be seeded in the 1A West:

Robbinsville

Elkin

Murphy

Thomas Jefferson

Hayesville

Winston-Salem Prep

Andrews

Alleghany

Albemarle

Lakewood

East Columbus

Cherokee

Among these 12 teams, Murphy and Robbinsville are the clear favorites.  Thomas Jefferson and Elkin are the only other teams that I would consider as "dark horse" candidates to emerge from the 1A West.

Most likely 1A East teams:

North Edgecombe

Bear Grass

Rosewood

Pamlico County

Northampton County

Northside-Pinetown

Washington County

Southside

South Creek

Perquimans

KIPP Pride

North Duplin

The 1A East is really up for grabs.  I think Rosewood and North Edgecombe have the best chances of winning the 1A East, but I also believe that several other teams, such as Pamlico County, Northside, Washington County, and Northampton County could emerge.  I don't think any of these teams can beat the champion from the 1A West, but there's significant parity in the 1A East.

The most likely teams to make the 1AA West:

East Surry

Mitchell

Bessemer City

North Rowan

Mount Airy

Mountain Island Charter

Swain

Polk County

Avery County

Starmount

Union Academy

East Wilkes

The 1AA West is simply loaded!  I consider East Surry to be the favorite to win the 1AA West, but I would not discount teams such as Mitchell, Mount Airy, Mountain Island Charter, Swain, and Polk County.  

The 12 most likely candidates to make the 1AA East:

Tarboro

Holmes

Princeton

Granville Central

East Carteret

Manteo

North Stanly

South Stokes

Hobbton

Gates County

South Stanly

Louisburg

Tarboro has allowed 21 points....through 10 games this year!  Holmes has won all but one of their games by at least 42 points.  Princeton has defeated their opponents by an average of 49 to 11.  I believe Tarboro is the favorite to emerge from the 1AA East, but I wouldn't dismiss Holmes or Princeton, either.

Share:
Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: