News and Articles




By: Anthony Perkins


Belmont – The South Point Red Raiders hosted the Chase Trojans on Thursday night in anticipation of predicted heavy rains on Friday and won by a score of 49-0 on their final home game of the 2018 regular season.


Except for their final possession, South Point scored every time they touched the ball.  However, Chase opened up the game by moving the ball inside the South Point 15 before the Red Raider defenders forced a field goal attempt from their 11-yard line that was blocked by Devon King.  That would be the only time the Trojans crossed mid-field until late in the fourth quarter. 


After the blocked field goal attempt the Red Raider offense went to work by moving the ball 81-yards for their first score with only 3:13 left in the first quarter. 


During the second quarter South Point seemingly scored at will.  The first score of the second period was set up at the end of the first quarter when South Point’s Josh Hicks fell on a Chase fumble at the Trojans 46-yard line.  Forty-two seconds into the second quarter the Red Raiders started a scoring barrage when Caleb Gibson got into the end-zone on a fifteen-yard run for the first of his two touchdowns.  At the 8:11 mark Ray Grier snagged a Keaton Hale pass for a 46-yard score and four minutes later Hale called his own number for a one-yard touchdown dive.  The final score of the first half came on a two-yard run by fullback Naseem Jones with just over a minute left on the clock.


While the Red Raider offense was clicking on all cylinders the defense was also humming along by holding Chase to 36 yards rushing and 58 yards passing in the first half. 


South Point opened the second half with a 35-0 lead and after taking the opening kickoff completed a 67-yard drive in under two minutes to send the game into a “running clock" situation.  Wingback Caleb Gibson (5 carries, 94 yards) capped the drive off with a dazzling 21-yard run and the 42-0 lead.  South Point’s final score came on their next possession when Jamani Leeper scored on a 5-yard run while manning the quarterback position.


After the game coach Adam Hodge said, “This is the time of the year when you need to play well, especially with a chance for the conference title game and the playoffs coming up!  We didn’t tackle very good in the first quarter…” but other than that he was well pleased with the effort of his team.


The Red Raiders finished the night with 363 total yards, 295 yards rushing on 41 attempts and Hale went 2 for 4 in the passing department for 68 yards with Ray Greer catching both tosses.  They moved the chains 18 times, had zero turnovers, and they were flagged only once for ten yards. Tanner Canterberry and Devon King were South Point’s defensive standouts accounting for over a dozen tackles.


The Trojans could only manage 132 total yards against the stingy Red Raider defense that surrendered only 38 total yards in the second half.  The Chase running attack accounted for 66 yards on 22 carries and quarterback Damian Boykins completed 10 of 21 passes for 66 yards.  Keith Godfrey was their top receiver with three catches for 31 yards and Leshon Lipscomb garnered the most yards on the ground with 28 yards on nine carries.  Chase collected nine first downs, had one lost fumble and they were flagged three times for 25 yards.


Next week the Trojans will close out their season as they travel the short distance to Rutherfordton to take on the RS Central Hilltoppers.  South Point has a date at Shelby where they will tangle with the Golden Lions with the conference championship and preferred seeding for the playoffs awaiting the winner.


Post Rating


There are currently no comments, be the first to post one!

Post Comment

Only registered users may post comments.

Other News Links


Carolina Varsity Blog