Posted: September 29, 2016
Gaston, Lincoln and Cleveland County Best To Last
1. Shelby (6-0)(3-0) - The Golden Lions are still the undisputed #1 team in the area. Doesn't look like anyone will take that from them anytime soon.
2. Lincolnton (5-0)(1-0) - The Wolves are still favored to win their conference, but will face their biggest test this week in #3 East Lincoln.
3. East Lincoln (5-0)(1-0) - The Mustangs have not missed a step so far this year. Could they take down #2 Lincolnton and retain their dominance in the District 7 2A?
4. Burns (6-0)(3-0) - Burns has quietly put together an undefeated season. But they got some bigger tests down the line.
5. South Point (2-3)(1-0) - The Red Raiders got back on track with a dominant 58-7 crushing of #17 East Gaston.
6. Crest (4-1)(2-0) - The Chargers have been winning, but they have not been as dominant as they have been in the past. Makes their week 11 matchup with #4 Burns that more intriguing.
7. Stuart Cramer (4-1)(1-0) - The Storm began conference play with a win for the first time in school history with a 21-14 win over Ashbrook. They will have another tough task against #8 Forestview.
8. Forestview (3-2)(1-0) - The Jaguars got back on the right track last week with a 35-7 win against Lake Norman Charter. #7 Cramer will give the Jaguars a tougher game though.
9. Kings Mountain (3-3)(1-2) - The Mountaineers have been bit by the injury bug and it has hurt them as they lost their last two games to #1 Shelby (39-9) and #4 Burns (28-17).
10. Bessemer City (4-2)(1-0) - The Yellow Jackets conclude nonconference play with a 48-12 win over Highland Tech. They are poised to take their conference. They are off this Friday, though.
11. Mountain Island Charter (4-1)(3-1) - The Raptors have gotten their conference games out of the way early and should be in position to take second place. They play their final league game at Highland Tech this week.
12. Hunter Huss (2-3)(1-0) - The Huskies have won two in a row after starting off 0-3 and are off to a good start in conference play. They will travel to #5 South Point.
13. Thomas Jefferson (4-1)(0-1) - Since their 31-13 loss to Mountain Island Charter, the Gryphons have won three straight, but they will face a tough test against 4-1 Blacksburg.
14. Ashbrook (1-4)(0-1) - The Green Wave have struggled this year. But in three of their losses, they have not lost by anymore than seven points.
15. West Lincoln (3-2)(0-1) - The Rebels took a hard fall a couple of weeks ago to #2 Lincolnton 46-9. The Rebels are coming off a bye week and are looking to rebound against Bunker Hill.
16. North Lincoln (1-4)(1-0) - The Knights got their first win of the season with a 25-17 win over North Iredell, but they will have a tougher time against Mooresville this week.
17. East Gaston (1-4)(0-1) - The struggles continue for the Warriors. Last week's 58-7 loss to South Point was the epitome of it. They are hoping to rebound against Lake Norman Charter.
18. North Gaston (1-4)(0-1) - The Wildcats have also had a tough time of it this year. They face #14 Ashbrook who has also struggled.
19. Cherryville (0-6)(0-0) - The Ironmen are still winless on the season. They will be off this week before starting conference play.
20. Highland Tech (1-4)(0-0) - The Rams are still looking for their first on-the-field win since 2013.