News and Articles




By: Anthony Perkins


Concord – In a battle between two undefeated teams the home standing Spiders prevailed over the visiting South Point Red Raiders by a 21-13 score to advance to the Western Finals next Friday night.

A game between two high powered offenses and that figured to be an offensive shoot-out turned into a defensive battle with each team being held to less than 250 yards of offense.  Concord’s Rocky Reid scored the first points of the game on a 6-yard run two plays after the Spider defense forced a South Point fumble inside their 10.  Concord added to their lead on their first drive in the second quarter when Keenan Black hooked up with Jerry Burke on a nine yard pass and they looked as if they might run away with the game.  The South Point offense came to life in the second quarter but it was expensive.  About mid-way thru the quarter, fullback Tyler Bray suffered a cut when his helmet was knocked off and he did not return to the game until the third quarter.  The Red Raiders capped a 78 yard drive with less than two minutes remaining in the half on a thirty yard pass and run connection from Brooks to Jeffrey Pearsall, cutting the lead to 14-7.

South Point received the second half kick-off but was forced to punt after managing only one first down.  Following the punt, the Spiders committed one of their few mistakes on the night when a Keenan Black pass was picked by South Point’s Richard Dunning.  Seven plays later South Point took advantage of the Concord miscue when Tyler Bray carried it in from one yard out and it looked like the momentum might be swinging for the Red Raiders.  However, a mishandled snap resulted in a missed extra point and a 13-14 Red Raider deficit.

In the fourth quarter the Spiders did what the Red Raiders have done for most of the season; control the ball and the clock.  Concord went on a 12 play scoring drive that consumed over half of the final stanza and it was capped off with a 10-yard run by Dylan Aldridge with just over three minutes remaining in the contest. 

South Point still had a final chance to drive the field and tie the game with a two point conversion but a fourth and ten pass from Brooks to Tanner Muse at mid-field fell harmlessly to the ground to end the 2013 season for the Red Raiders. This marks the second year in a row that the Red Raiders have suffered their only loss of the season in the third round of the playoffs.

Concord will be at home again next week and for the second week in a row will face a member of the Big South 2A/3A Conference, the Forestview Jaguars, 42-20 winners over Hibriten.  The Spiders are trying to advance to the State Championship game for the second year in a row.

Post Rating


Post Comment

Only registered users may post comments.

Other News Links


Carolina Varsity Blog