ANTHONY’S WEEK 8 TOP TO BOTTOM FOR GASTON COUNTY
1. South Point improved to 7-0, 2-0 after a close call with conference opponent Hunter Huss last week. Despite their 7-0 record, the Red Raiders look like a team going in the wrong direction. South Point is a team known for their ball control offense but the one thing that has been missing in their last three games is “control” as witnessed by three turnovers in each of the last three games. The defense is keeping them in games but the offense must quit giving the opponents short fields via turnovers or it will eventually cost them. Two tough opponents are up next on the schedule with big playoff implications hanging in the balance. These two games will reveal whether or not the heads and hearts of the Raiders are really in the game.
2. Forestview (5-1, 2-0) is making a serious challenge for the top spot because on paper and on the scoreboard the Jaguars are the most impressive team in the county. However their last two blowout wins are not surprising considering their opponents and this week probably won’t be much different.
3. Ashbrook (4-2, 1-0) secured their first conference win of the season last Friday with by beating previously undefeated North Gaston and they are looking more and more like a team on the way up as they get into the meat of conference play.
4. North Gaston (5-1, 1-1) lost their first game of the year last week against Ashbrook but they are still in the thick of the conference race for now. An upset win at home this week against favored Forestview would go a long way in cementing their chances of a spot in the playoffs.
5. Hunter Huss (1-5, 0-2) lost a heartbreaker to South Point last week but the effort on the field proved that these Huskies can play with anyone if they bring the fire. Bring it on and the wins will come.
6. Bessemer City (2-4) took a thumping from Forestview last week but the schedule looks favorable for the Yellow Jackets for the next few weeks.
7. Cherryville (1-5) enters conference play on Friday following a BYE week but they face one of the conference favorites in Thomas Jefferson.
8. East Gaston (1-6) posted their first win of the season last week and will be looking to improve on their record as they go up against Hunter Huss.
9. Highland Tech (0-6) is still looking for that first win.