Welcome to CarolinaVarsity.com Forums

Jim's 1A/1AA/2A/2AA 2018 regional playoff predictions
Last Post 12/04/2018 4:05 AM by Vik-Val 86. 5 Replies.
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Jim West Posts:2342
--
12/01/2018 9:24 PM 0

1A East:

#4 Rosewood at #2 Pamlico:  For the 2nd year in a row, a Carolina Conference team has reached the 1A regional finals.  Last year North Duplin reached the regional finals, and this year it's Rosewood.   So far in the playoffs, Rosewood has defeated North Edgecombe (35-34) and Northampton County (28-14).  Pamlico County marches into the playoffs with a 12-1 record (only loss to undefeated Tarboro).  Pamlico's rushing attack is a beast!  For this game, I'm picking Pamlico County to edge out Rosewood.

1A West:

#4 Robbinsville at #3 Murphy:  for the 7th straight year, a SMC team will represent the West in the 1A state title game.  Earlier  this season Murphy defeated Robbinsville (at Robbinsville) by a 27-14 score.  You can throw out all records in this huge rivalry.  Robbinsville has an incredibly great rushing attack, but they also have a decent passing game that will keep defenses honest.  Murphy loves to run the ball, and they have 3 running backs that will carry the load.  While Murphy's passing attack may not look impressive, they avoid mistakes.  I think Murphy's defense is the better of the two squads and, as such, I'm picking Murphy.

1AA East:

#3 John Holmes at #1 Tarboro:  Almost everyone who follows 1AA football are ready to engrave Tarboro's name on the 1AA state championship trophy.  Not so fast, my friends.  Holmes sports a 12-1 record (only loss is to undefeated 2A Northeastern) and the Aces has a vicious rushing attack.  Holmes' defense is also very solid.  That being stated, the Tarboro talk is for real, and the Vikings could beat almost anyone in the state regardless of classification.  Tarboro has 4 running backs that have rushed for over 700 yards this season.  However, the big difference is Tarboro's defense:  the Vikings have allowed 45 points...the entire season.  I'm picking Tarboro to win.

1AA West:

#4 East Surry at #2 Starmount:  These two teams played earlier this season with East Surry besting Starmount by a 35-12 score.  Starmount has scored only 16 more points than they have allowed the entire season.  Last week, East Surry avenged their only loss of the season by dismantling Mount Airy 40-0.  To me, East Surry is the clear favorite and I'm picking East Surry to represent the West in the 1AA state championship game.

2A East:

#6 Southwest Onslow at #1 Northeastern:  Last week Southwest Onslow knocked out defending 2A state champ Wallace-Rose Hill by a 29-20 score (odd fact: SWO and WRH played earlier this season and SWO also won that game 29-20).  SWO has a wonderful rushing attack that has experienced success throughout the year.  Northeastern also has a tremendous rushing attack that can go yard for yard with Southwest Onslow.  Northeastern's defense might be a bit better than SWO.  Throw in the home field advantage and I'm picking Northeastern to advance.

2A West:

#8 Brevard at #2 Reidsville:  The Rams have allowed a total of 93 points for the entire season.  The Rams have a very balanced offense that has success running and passing the ball.  Brevard has won three consecutive games against Randolph County schools (Eastern Randolph, Randleman, and Wheatmore).  However, Reidsville is in Rockingham County (not that it matters).  Reidsville has too much firepower and a nasty defense to matter.  I'm picking Reidsville to win and advance.

2AA East:

#3 North Davidson at #1 Ledford:  Wow, the top two teams in the Central Carolina Conference meets to decide who goes to the state championship game.  Earlier this season Ledford defeated North Davidson (at North Davidson) 9 to 7.  North Davidson has a good offensive mix between the run and the pass.  Ledford has a very stout offensive attack to supplement a nasty defense.  North Davidson's defense is also among the best.  These two teams will be playing lights out on Friday night, and this game could really go either way.  I'm picking North Davidson to win this re-match.

2AA West:

#4 Shelby at #2 Hibriten:  Shelby stumbled out of the gates this season, and after 4 games they sported a 1-3 record.  Since then, the Golden Lions have won 10 games straight.  Shelby has one of the best passing attacks in the entire state, and they can move the ball down the field with any team.  Hibriten, on the other hand, has one of the best rushing attacks in the state and rarely throws the ball.  Both teams play very well on defense, but Shelby's defense might be more proven than Hibriten simply because Shelby has played better competition.  Hibriten did win the 2AA state championship game last year, but I don't see them returning.  I'm picking Shelby to win and advance to the state title game.

Last week's picks:

Jim 1A/1AA:  5-3,  Jim 2A/2AA:  7-1

ConnerP 1A/1AA:  6-2,  ConnerP 2A/2AA:  6-2

Overall in the playoffs:

Jim 1A/1AA:  31-9,  Jim 2A/2AA:  44-12

ConnerP 1A/1AA:  31-9,  ConnerP 2A/2AA 44-12

ConnerP Posts:313 Junior Member Junior Member
--
12/02/2018 12:15 PM 0
I was really surprised when I looked at Jim’s picks and compared them to mine. There are some very good games & we seem to agree on the outcomes.

ConnerP’s picks: * indicates disagreement with Jim

1A
Pamlico
Murphy

1AA
Tarboro
East Surry

2A
Northeastern
Reidsville

2AA
North Davidson
Hibriten*
allenjd4life Posts:318 Junior Member Junior Member
--
12/02/2018 12:33 PM 0
Hibriten creates turnovers Hibriten advances. They have created 10 turnovers the past 2 games hard to pick against a team that has won 30 straight as well
'98 State Champion Posts:112 Sophomore Member Sophomore Member
--
12/03/2018 12:57 PM 0
Thanks for picking us Jim. This team is on a mission after last years loss to Hibriten. If Bess is on, we win easily. If he's not, then it could be a tight ball game. We have played several teams of late that run the triple option and we have improved every week. Coach Ware does an impeccable job of game planning. He will definitely have the team ready for this one. Unlike last year, we are not nearly as banged up and fortunately had the "lighter" path to our 13th Western Final in the last 16 years. South Point twice as well as a tough Mt. Pleasant team roughed us up pretty good late in the season last year. Malik, our qb, was hobbling around on a bad wheel in last year's Western Final. This team is hungry....can't wait. Only 4 more sleeps.
allenjd4life Posts:318 Junior Member Junior Member
--
12/04/2018 12:31 AM 1

Posted By '98 State Champion on 12/03/2018 12:57 PM
Thanks for picking us Jim. This team is on a mission after last years loss to Hibriten. If Bess is on, we win easily. If he's not, then it could be a tight ball game. We have played several teams of late that run the triple option and we have improved every week. Coach Ware does an impeccable job of game planning. He will definitely have the team ready for this one. Unlike last year, we are not nearly as banged up and fortunately had the "lighter" path to our 13th Western Final in the last 16 years. South Point twice as well as a tough Mt. Pleasant team roughed us up pretty good late in the season last year. Malik, our qb, was hobbling around on a bad wheel in last year's Western Final. This team is hungry....can't wait. Only 4 more sleeps.

Safe trip to Lenoir I'll be covering this game taking the 30 minute trip from Maiden. I hope no injures happen They are calling for cool weather but no cold like it was in round 2.
Vik-Val 86 Posts:204 Junior Member Junior Member
--
12/04/2018 4:05 AM 0
The N. Davidson n Ledford game I believe will be another good one like before. But I believe N. Davidson will win it this time. They had opportunities last time but couldn’t cash in. I stated earlier in the season that I would like to see N. Davidson n Hibriten matchup but wouldn’t surprise me to see Shelby in it as well. Either way I think it will be a good one. One thing I will state that N. Davidson has had penalty issues which could haunt them against these better teams.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Membership Membership:
Latest New User Latest: Stephanie
Past 24 Hours Past 24 Hours: 0
Prev. 24 Hours Prev. 24 Hours: 2
User Count Overall: 4222

People Online People Online:
Visitors Visitors: 272
Members Members: 0
Total Total: 272

Online Now Online Now:

What's happening when and where...