• Like:
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages

Jim West

--
06/10/2018 5:44 PM
To say the least, I-Meck fans will be entertained in 2018. The I-Meck will produce some great moments this upcoming season.

Hough will have a bulls eye on them next year. With a team that has many athletes in a Hough uniform for the first time, I wonder whether everyone involved in the program will be on the same page.

I buy into the notion that a team can have too much talent, meaning that some talented players may not get the amount of time on the field as they would with other schools. Several years ago I had a neat conversation with Mallard Creek's Coach Palmieri about having an abundance of talent, and he agreed with me that it's not as rosy as many might think. Mind you, Mallard Creek had an abundance of talent that year and still ended up winning the 4AA state championship. However, the vast majority of the Mallard Creek team had been playing with each other for several years. Having trust among the players doesn't come overnight. Trust within a program is a marathon.

Vik-Val 86
Sophomore Member
Sophomore Member

--
06/10/2018 8:49 PM
This conference reminds me of the SEC conference in college football. The I Meck definitely be a fun conference to watch to see how it turns out.

camgator
Sophomore Member
Sophomore Member

--
06/11/2018 10:24 PM

never said you were accusing of anything, I dont know what is happening at Hough at all. I just know what happened at a few other places. 

I myself feel the same way a few studs and a group of really good players who have cohesiveness. 

betterhalf
Sophomore Member
Sophomore Member

--
06/14/2018 7:16 AM

I've seen both QBs play and I agree with 704cougarsdad, I think the Maye kid brings a lot more to the table than the Fayetteville transfer QB. But there is more to the decision and I hope that Jenkins made the right one.  The Maye kid (and all of his older brothers) have grown up and played sports locally their entire lives.  The Maye parents have also been involved with coaching and leading Booster Clubs.  It's sad to see Hough lose that family.

bigdadd1110

--
06/14/2018 9:05 AM
Betterhalf. Its one of those wait and see approaches. Think Maye is the better fit also for the team, program, and school. Remember Chauncey Caldwell? How did that work out for MC? Great player but didn't quite seem to fit. Vs, Jadyn Washington who I feel will be much improved this year and possibly top QB in the city when all is said and done. Transfers are expected, and have been around for years. Even bottom dwellar teams lose and gain players. But when you are a top player for your school and you abandon your TEAM sr. year to join an all-star misfit it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Hough has gotten a great deal of quality platers from other schools. We may as well play AAU football.

Therock
Middle School
Middle School

--
06/14/2018 1:57 PM
Has anyone heard about an investigation going on at Hough around player transfers?

704cougarsdad

--
06/14/2018 3:04 PM
Jus think about it...u let a quality coach that always did stuff the right way in Aldridge for Jenkins. In not accusing anybody but mighty funny after u let a guy who was standup and did everything the right way questionable transfer moves r being made??

pepman
Dale's right Hand Man

--
06/14/2018 3:43 PM
Posted By Therock on 06/14/2018 1:57 PM
Has anyone heard about an investigation going on at Hough around player transfers?

There has not been anything official that I've heard about. My opinion is, I think the transfer/move process will be reviewed across the board. We were talking the other day, and the main thing is, evidence of illegal activity needs to be submitted through the proper channels if any actions were to be taken. And that's not just for Hough, that's for ANY school that may be suspected of any rules violations. 

Going on social media and such, yes that's one thing, but for anyone to expect action after a twitter rant or forum statement, it's just not going to happen. 

Follow me on Twitter @pepmancv Email Me Directly: matt.morrow6164@gmail.com

pepman
Dale's right Hand Man

--
06/14/2018 3:48 PM
Posted By 704cougarsdad on 06/14/2018 3:04 PM
Jus think about it...u let a quality coach that always did stuff the right way in Aldridge for Jenkins. In not accusing anybody but mighty funny after u let a guy who was standup and did everything the right way questionable transfer moves r being made??

Hough has had transfers before Jenkins, every school has transfers that come in. The players coming to Hough are proud to be there, and that's the way they choose to go about letting people know they are there.

Some other schools, their players come in and they don't say a word on social media. There are others that have moved around, and they are good players that aren't big names. 

pepman
Dale's right Hand Man

--
06/14/2018 3:53 PM
Posted By betterhalf on 06/14/2018 7:16 AM

I've seen both QBs play and I agree with 704cougarsdad, I think the Maye kid brings a lot more to the table than the Fayetteville transfer QB. But there is more to the decision and I hope that Jenkins made the right one.  The Maye kid (and all of his older brothers) have grown up and played sports locally their entire lives.  The Maye parents have also been involved with coaching and leading Booster Clubs.  It's sad to see Hough lose that family.

I agree with what Bigdad said here. Wait and see approach is the best one here. More to the story. Maye and Bonner-Steward are both very good QBs. 

Bringing more to the table is in the eye of what you value too if you're looking strictly at football. They are different style of QBs. 

bigdadd1110

--
06/15/2018 9:10 AM
Last full blown investigation in 2007 found issues at a bunch of schools in CMS. AGree fully with Pep that alot of transfers happen folks dont know about. IE Think West Charlotte lost their QB to Hopewell? Not a big name, but a big move within the programs. Think the reason Hough gets the extra attention is 3 fold.

1. Removal of coach season prior from what seemed to be a stand up guy
2. The high caliber and pure number of the transfers. The 7 v7 team aspect that has benefited Hough more so than any other high school in the QC.
3. The common denominator from 2007 incidents to 2018.

CatholicCougs14

--
06/15/2018 9:23 AM
Posted By bigdadd1110 on 06/15/2018 9:10 AM
Last full blown investigation in 2007 found issues at a bunch of schools in CMS. AGree fully with Pep that alot of transfers happen folks dont know about. IE Think West Charlotte lost their QB to Hopewell? Not a big name, but a big move within the programs. Think the reason Hough gets the extra attention is 3 fold.

1. Removal of coach season prior from what seemed to be a stand up guy
2. The high caliber and pure number of the transfers. The 7 v7 team aspect that has benefited Hough more so than any other high school in the QC.
3. The common denominator from 2007 incidents to 2018.

Current AD at Hough was also the AD at West Charlotte when they got hit hard for that. 

Charlotte Catholic 40+ years of EXCELLENCE State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015, 2017

btango

--
06/16/2018 1:15 AM

I am pretty sure that is what he was referencing on # 3.

btango

--
06/16/2018 1:17 AM
Before Jenkins was at Hough people were screaming about players. If you remember one DB came to Hough and I think his father had been a coach at his previous school. One of the statements to describe the move was, "we always wanted to live at the lake."

704cougarsdad

--
06/16/2018 10:44 AM
Well if u can get a "hook up" for a reduced priced property on "the lake"....who wouldn't blame you for moving smh.

btango

--
06/16/2018 4:12 PM
Posted By 704cougarsdad on 06/16/2018 10:44 AM
Well if u can get a "hook up" for a reduced priced property on "the lake"....who wouldn't blame you for moving smh.

Don't think they got very close to the shores of Lake Norman.

bear5034

--
06/17/2018 7:16 AM
This certainly is a hot topic among HS football fans, parents and coaches not just as it relates to Hough but in the system in general. Why doesnt CV get Sue Doran on camera to discuss the topic and maybe help to inform. I think there is a lot of misinformation surrounding the subject of transfers, recruiting etc,etc. I know I am flying in the dark on the subject-

- Are coaches from other schools allowed to initiate contact? Would coaching off season 7 on 7 teams be considered contact? I know there was a thread on here several years ago stating that prior to enrollment no coach was allowed to discuss football at all with a kid who was not enrolled. Wasnt Knotts scrutinized for just showing up at middle school games?

- If housing was provided either directly or indirectly from a school employee would that be considered a violation of policy? For example, Townhouse or houses rented to a family from a family member of a coach?

- Is there follow up from CMS after the season starts on where an athlete is living and who they are living with? What does that process look like?

- Is the simple act of sitting down for lunch with a athlete or athletes parent that is currently not enrolled in your school considered a violation?

I have zero idea on what goes on at Hough or any other Meck county HS. I do know if we have another scandal it taints the entire system and it seems logical to get some simple answers from the people who create and enforce the rules versus just rumor.

pepman
Dale's right Hand Man

--
06/17/2018 2:56 PM
Provided the NCHSAA rule on recruiting in a seperate thread. That should answer some of your questions Bear.

CMS has done investigations before, I know that for a fact when evidence is submitted through proper channels.

Jim West

--
06/17/2018 5:13 PM
In the CPA profession, I have worked on standard setting in regards to Independence/Behavioral Standards. In general, each CPA has two things that they should follow:

1. Rules and interpretations that specifically relate to the topic at hand.
2. Principles of conduct that address issues that may not be covered by a specific rule but should be followed to prevent the appearance of impropriety. When dealing with appearance issues, the person should consider what a reasonable and informed third party, privy to all facts and safeguards applied, would conclude (emphasis on a reasonable and informed third party).

To be specific, rules and interpretations deal with "right or wrong issues" that are not in gray areas. Principles of conduct addresses the gray areas that require considerable professional judgment. I believe the same thing is true about coaching in the high school level.

In my own interpretation of the CMS rules, I think someone would need to apply the principles of conduct when addressing some issues. For example, if a school employee rented a property to a prospective student's guardian/parent, I would not necessarily conclude that recruiting/undue influence has occurred. If the property was rented at a below the market rate, then yes, I would conclude that recruiting/undue influence has occurred. If the property was rented at a reasonable market rate based on factual research that can support the reasonable rate, then my concerns would be mitigated. Of course, the best possible scenario is that a school employee does not rent a home to a prospective student whatsoever, but we don't live in an ideal world.

In my profession, this is a very sensitive subject. For example, if an auditor leases a property at a sweetheart deal from an owner of the audit client, then independence has been impaired and the auditor could not give an opinion about whether the financial statements are properly presented by management. In the high school scenario, I would believe that such a perk would be deemed undue influence. What is cloudy, however, is what happens if such property was rented out directly or indirectly by a booster of any given program. Or better yet, what happens if a booster who owns a business decides to hire a parent of a prospective student? Would it matter if the parent was being compensated at a higher than usual rate for a specific job?

Let's say that we found out that a kid was a victim of recruiting at no direct fault of their own. Let's say it's an overly aggressive coach and a self-centered parent who allowed this to happen. Obviously we have a mechanism to sanction the coach, but what happens to the kid? The kid will probably have a black cloud over them for the rest of their high school career...and beyond. As such I think all investigations should be held in confidence. However, for transparency issues, I have no problem if CMS or any school system shared overall numbers of conducted investigations and the overall final numbers of final conclusions (i.e. "no action", "violations, etc.).
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Membership Membership:
Latest New User Latest: System
Past 24 Hours Past 24 Hours: 0
Prev. 24 Hours Prev. 24 Hours: 2
User Count Overall: 4236

People Online People Online:
Visitors Visitors: 358
Members Members: 3
Total Total: 361

Online Now Online Now: