Welcome to CarolinaVarsity.com Forums

Hough 2018
Last Post 05/18/2018 11:42 AM by MHSGoBlueDevils. 30 Replies.
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
hookem Posts:729 Senior Member Senior Member
--
04/18/2018 2:11 PM 0

From what I understand Hough Football  has had a busy offseason. Can anyone elaborate. 

pepman Posts:8039 Dale's right Hand Man
--
04/19/2018 11:38 AM 0
Evan Pryor from AK, Malik Barber from SC I believe are at Hough for the upcoming season. Both very talented players.

Not to change gears, but Mallard Creek has a new RB in Charles Mincy Jr that comes from the west coast, 4 star kid.
Follow me on Twitter @pepmancv Email Me Directly: matt.morrow6164@gmail.com
704cougarsdad Posts:359 Junior Member Junior Member
--
04/20/2018 6:07 AM 0
Hough is loooaded for this 2019 class. Every position damn near has a D1 offer. And truthfully all of the north charlotte contenders is stacked across the board from the 2019-22 classes. (Vance,MC. Hough)
--
04/20/2018 7:18 AM 0
Hough certainly has enough talent for sure. They have that huge hump to get over in MC and they know it. No love lost between those teams.
bear5034 Posts:3751
--
04/20/2018 11:06 PM 0
Mecka may be one of the most loaded conferences in the country in 2018. Easily 20-25 Power 5 recruits in the conference. Hough. Creek and Vance may very well be 3 of the top 5 teams preseason in the state.

Overall I think talent wise the city has been a tick down the past 2 years. Not the case this year. There has been a serious consolidation of talent in the top tier schools with more to come. Also attracting some national talent. Better get the popcorn ready because there will be some absolute wars this year.
Jim West Posts:1718
--
04/21/2018 4:17 PM 1
Posted By bear5034 on 04/20/2018 11:06 PM
Mecka may be one of the most loaded conferences in the country in 2018. Easily 20-25 Power 5 recruits in the conference. Hough. Creek and Vance may very well be 3 of the top 5 teams preseason in the state.

Overall I think talent wise the city has been a tick down the past 2 years. Not the case this year. There has been a serious consolidation of talent in the top tier schools with more to come. Also attracting some national talent. Better get the popcorn ready because there will be some absolute wars this year.

2016 just called...they want their conference name back.  

It's I-Meck dude.

--
04/21/2018 6:03 PM 0
I was gathering some notes for some things for the next couple of weeks, and just looking at the IMeck, that league this season should be the best in the state by far.

Not only those 3, but West Charlotte and Mooresville should have their strongest teams they have had in a few years. North Meck will be tough and well coached again, Hopewell will be better also.
--
04/21/2018 9:44 PM 0
Not jus that 2019 n 2020 will b just as good. A lot of those schools will have freshmen n sophomores starting varsity so there may b 3-4 yr starters eventually in a few yrs
--
04/21/2018 9:55 PM 0
Pryor just got a Penn State offer today as a matter of fact.

I am real interested to see how all these guys get featured offensively. Nice problem to have, one Ive never had to deal with for sure. Lol
CatholicCougs14 Posts:2660
--
04/25/2018 8:42 AM 0
Hough has seen a rather large influx of transfers...hmmmmmm
Charlotte Catholic 40+ years of EXCELLENCE State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015, 2017
--
04/27/2018 6:40 AM 0
They have the FUNDS to have interests 2 play there smh.
--
04/27/2018 4:53 PM 0
The key for Hough will be the lines of scrimmage, if they are able to hold their own they could get over the hump
MHSGoBlueDevils Posts:3881
--
05/02/2018 8:23 PM 0
Word is the top db from Newton conover is at Hough now (may be old news)... but man it’s just a revolving door into Hough this year. Nobody is safe lmao
Lets Go Blue Devils!
--
05/15/2018 8:20 AM 0
Merged from new thread below, bigdadd and 704 cougar dad

Posted By 704cougarsdad on 05/14/2018 2:54 PM

Posted By bigdadd1110 on 05/14/2018 8:00 AM
Looks like Hough is leading the way for new players for 2018. How do they expect to play all of those DBs? Maybe some will play on offense. Has there been a school in NC history that got this type of influx of players in one off season? Hough 2018 might be the litmus test for rent a team vs. grow a team. Rather amusing when you really look into it.

I'll leave it like this...if ur kid has D1 talent n word gets back to this program that u r looking for a place 2 reside....being able 2 get a lakeside rental hook up is def tempting....hell I would consider it myself lol

Posted By on 05/15/2018 7:07 AM
704, just thinking when does a child want to compete and finish what they started at their first highschool? Whats so enticing about Hough? Just dont get it
--
05/15/2018 8:27 AM 0
I had a nice visit there last Thursday, no interviews because the storms sent the kids home early, They do have a lot of talent, and there's a lot of movement, yes.

The unfortunate thing about movement is, I think it's the new normal, and it's parents that drive this bus. At the end of the day, we are still talking about kids, and they can't move themselves to play for whoever they want to, no matter what people may believe.

It's not relegated to only Hough, that's for sure. Parents these days more than ever are trying to put their kids into what they believe is the best situation for them. The days that most of us grew up in appear to be over, which is sad, but it is what it is.
--
05/15/2018 9:14 AM 0
Pepman is right: it's not related to Hough and transferring to/from a school is the new normal. We are seeing more transfers each and every year. One huge factor is the rise of the beloved social media.

There are many factors involving why a kid transfers from one school to another but there are two parts to the equation: (1) the school the kid left and (2) the school who accepted the kid as a transfer. When we see many athletes leaving from one school, we ask all kinds of questions. Likewise, when a school starts receiving transfers, our antennas go up.

Brief example regarding a school losing transfers: from 2001 to 2010, Albemarle won five 1AA state championships. By 2011, Albemarle's ADM's were dwindling to 1A level. Today, there are around 375 students. For awhile, no one talked much about it because Albemarle was relatively successful on the field. Then the 2014 campus shooting occurred (involving a transfer of all things) and then the football team forfeited all but one game for playing ineligible players. After that, the transfer of athletes into Albemarle stopped. The school had some serious gang-related activity and parents finally saw that the school was not healthy. By 2016, Albemarle finished the season a woeful 1-10 with no more than 30 football players. The school received horrible media exposure and negative political attention (at one time it looked like Albemarle would be shut down). With all of this occurring, athletes stopped transferring into the school. In addition, athletes started leaving Albemarle to other schools.

Now with schools with students transferring in, we tend to be very skeptical of the reasons why this occurred. What no one has said but what some are thinking is whether schools are illegally recruiting athletes. Recruiting is a very delicate subject and for the most part athletes recruit other athletes to come into the school. However, there are some programs that cross the line. If the NCHSAA ever gets involved in recruiting allegations the punishment can be severe. DH Conley's former coach, Brian Paschal, was suspended for one year for recruiting some North Pitt athletes. He made the mistake of talking to these athletes about his program.

bigdadd1110 Posts:265 Junior Member Junior Member
--
05/15/2018 10:09 AM 0
Jim agree with you and Pep. Transfers do occur. Typically to extreme winning programs with excellent coaching, or players leaving a situation of much lesser coaching or coaching instability. Attrition is expected. However when you have the type of movement Hough is having it would be considered extreme by any reasonable measure. Below is a list noted on another site. Thats alot of good to great talent and thats not even covering all the guys they got last year. Just asking what makes Hough the destination at such a high rate vs. other schools with more tradition, better coaching, and more wins? Just curious.

Jim you mentioned recruiting being a dangerous word and it is. There's natural recruiting and then illegal recruiting. With the way communication now exist most parents and players are recruiting their programs. Only question I would have is the validity of all the moves as some comes are coming from out of the county and for most thats not an easy move.

Malik Barber: Nations Ford,SC
Diandre Davis: North Meck
Jalen Frazier: East Lincoln
Austin Robinson:Lake Norman
Kennique Bonner-Seventy First
Myles Baker: Newton Conover
Evan Pryor: Ardrey Kell
Kyle House:Seventy First
Mario Love: Mallard Creek
Storm Monroe: Moorseville
Zion Pack: Mallard Creek
Antonio Barber: Rock Hill, SC
--
05/15/2018 12:32 PM 0
About that list, all of those did not happen in one offseason is the first thing I would say.

Secondly, as the season begins you will see other familiar names in new places. This is a Hough thread, but like I said before this is not exclusive to these guys.

I know everyone wants to come after them because these are high profile names and talented kids. We had the same thing with Mallard Creek before also. Hough made the state semifinals last year. More so than ever, parents are making choices to put their kids on successful programs.

No one will ever claim it, but you go to any successful program in Charlotte Metro there are kids coming in from different places all the time. It's just these names a lot of people are familiar with and the kids don't mind putting it out there on social media.
--
05/15/2018 1:51 PM 0
Posted By bigdadd1110 on 05/15/2018 10:09 AM
Jim agree with you and Pep. Transfers do occur. Typically to extreme winning programs with excellent coaching, or players leaving a situation of much lesser coaching or coaching instability. Attrition is expected. However when you have the type of movement Hough is having it would be considered extreme by any reasonable measure. Below is a list noted on another site. Thats alot of good to great talent and thats not even covering all the guys they got last year. Just asking what makes Hough the destination at such a high rate vs. other schools with more tradition, better coaching, and more wins? Just curious.

Jim you mentioned recruiting being a dangerous word and it is. There's natural recruiting and then illegal recruiting. With the way communication now exist most parents and players are recruiting their programs. Only question I would have is the validity of all the moves as some comes are coming from out of the county and for most thats not an easy move.

Malik Barber: Nations Ford,SC
Diandre Davis: North Meck
Jalen Frazier: East Lincoln
Austin Robinson:Lake Norman
Kennique Bonner-Seventy First
Myles Baker: Newton Conover
Evan Pryor: Ardrey Kell
Kyle House:Seventy First
Mario Love: Mallard Creek
Storm Monroe: Moorseville
Zion Pack: Mallard Creek
Antonio Barber: Rock Hill, SC

Hey man, thanks for the nice and detailed response.  I think you have raised some tremendous questions, and these questions should be considered by all 374-376 NCHSAA football programs (not sure if Cape Hatteras or Mattamuskeet will have programs this year).  Having numerous transfers coming into a program causes an appearance of uncertainty.  Now uncertainty can be legit or not legit, but until we can address these uncertainties, speculation will occur.

The best way to mitigate this appearance of uncertainty is to have proper documentation and to have that documentation certified at the appropriate levels within the LEA.  Residency checks have to be completed and certified.  There can't be any question up front about a kid's residency.  I also believe that each school's administrators should emphasize ethical behavior within every sports program.  

I can only hope that each school in the NCHSAA abides by the NCHSAA bylaws.  Failure to abide by the recruiting language in the bylaws should result in removal and suspension from NCHSAA sporting events.  

As far as why all the kids are going to Hough, it's because a pretty friend of mine teaches at Hough...

--
05/15/2018 2:17 PM 0
For me- I knowing many people in and around the Hough program, I don’t think there’s any foul play going on here. I just like to give Hough crap because well.... it’s Hough and we don’t like em. Lol.

But the transfer rate seems to be sky rocketing, and that’s not just a Hough thing. I’ll bet, in today’s age of social media and instant gratification, I’ll bet this is a far outreaching problem nationally. Hate to say it but I think a big factor to consider here, much like AAU basketball, is travel summer 7v7 Ball. I’d be curious, of that list above, how many of them play on the same 7v7 travel team? Not saying it’s right or wrong, but if players spend that much time playing together then it’d only be natural that they would want to play together at some point on the high school level too.
Lets Go Blue Devils!
bigdadd1110 Posts:265 Junior Member Junior Member
--
05/15/2018 3:06 PM 0
MHS Oh a great deal of it is summer 7v7 ball and its AAU like effect, But typically those guys still stay at their highschools or HS teammates play on the travel teams together. Bunch of factors at play. Just dont like the direction this is taking us. Kids talk grind, but then run.
--
05/15/2018 9:23 PM 0
One more thing I forgot to mention, geography. When you have sooo many schools with in a relatively small geographic location, it does tend to make it a lot easier for transfers to happen
Lets Go Blue Devils!
--
05/16/2018 9:03 AM 0
I find this much to do about nothing. This is the new normal and will continue to increase and not decrease. I wont be hypocritical on the subject. Hough has always had a good number of transfers. They have had an uptick over the past two years but with Grier leaving DD and Mooresville in transition it was a foregone conclusion in my book. The 7 on 7 factor is huge for obvious reasons we are all aware of. Look at the list above.....almost all skill guys.

I have said this before. A couple of the right transfers can make a good team great in the right places. It just as easily can go the other direction as well. There is only one ball, only 4 or 5 DB spots.The first time a kid gets burned over the top or Johnny 4 star only gets 4 touches it can get silly quick. Parents start screaming, nobody wants to be a role player and then of course comes the bad loss and everyone starts pointing fingers.

Give me 3 or 4 studs and a group of very good athletes that have been part of a system of success over the long haul any day. I will use Harding as example #1
HomeisNC Posts:40 Freshman Member Freshman Member
--
05/16/2018 9:38 AM 0
The irony here is Catholic is constantly being accused of recruiting and these moves reek of recruitment. A kid would have to sit out a year if he moved to CCHS during high school. I never want hear the “CCHS recruits” rumors with this BS going on. Besides, Catholic grows champions. We don’t need to recruit!
--
05/16/2018 3:36 PM 0
Posted By HomeisNC on 05/16/2018 9:38 AM
The irony here is Catholic is constantly being accused of recruiting and these moves reek of recruitment. A kid would have to sit out a year if he moved to CCHS during high school. I never want hear the “CCHS recruits” rumors with this BS going on. Besides, Catholic grows champions. We don’t need to recruit!

Dude, I appreciate the comments but no one here accused Catholic of recruiting. All of us know and respect Catholic for what they do with their kids. 

--
05/16/2018 4:24 PM 0

?????? A Catholic siting in 4a....
--
05/17/2018 7:45 AM 0

Posted By pepman on 05/16/2018 3:36 PM

Dude, I appreciate the comments but no one here accused Catholic of recruiting. All of us know and respect Catholic for what they do with their kids. 

I know that no one here is accusing CCHS of that....on this thread. I was just pointing out the irony of this Hough situation. No harm no foul.
--
05/17/2018 7:51 AM 0

Posted By 704cougarsdad on 05/16/2018 4:24 PM

It’s “sitting,” and yes. We scrimmaged Hough last year and we still play two 4a teams on our schedule. I watch both 3A and 4a (what’s left of it). The question here is does Hough or MC or Vance have enough to beat Wake Forest. Prolly not.....
--
05/17/2018 10:18 AM 0

I have tremendous respect for Charlotte Catholic.  They have done a great job of teaching kids how to play Charlotte Catholic ball through their feeder system.  One only has to perform an eye test to see that Charlotte Catholic does not recruit.  I've always believed that Catholic's emphasis on the fundamentals separates them from many schools.

--
05/17/2018 4:27 PM 0

Posted By HomeisNC on 05/17/2018 7:51 AM

Posted By 704cougarsdad on 05/16/2018 4:24 PM

It’s “sitting,” and yes. We scrimmaged Hough last year and we still play two 4a teams on our schedule. I watch both 3A and 4a (what’s left of it). The question here is does Hough or MC or Vance have enough to beat Wake Forest. Prolly not.....

MC 2-1 alltime versus Wake. 2-0 versus Catholic.
--
05/18/2018 11:42 AM 1

Posted By bear5034 on 05/16/2018 9:03 AM
I find this much to do about nothing. This is the new normal and will continue to increase and not decrease. I wont be hypocritical on the subject. Hough has always had a good number of transfers. They have had an uptick over the past two years but with Grier leaving DD and Mooresville in transition it was a foregone conclusion in my book. The 7 on 7 factor is huge for obvious reasons we are all aware of. Look at the list above.....almost all skill guys.

I have said this before. A couple of the right transfers can make a good team great in the right places. It just as easily can go the other direction as well. There is only one ball, only 4 or 5 DB spots.The first time a kid gets burned over the top or Johnny 4 star only gets 4 touches it can get silly quick. Parents start screaming, nobody wants to be a role player and then of course comes the bad loss and everyone starts pointing fingers.

Give me 3 or 4 studs and a group of very good athletes that have been part of a system of success over the long haul any day. I will use Harding as example #1

Mooresville being in transition hasn’t had much of an effect on Hough.. we lost one player. And it was a player that has family on Hough staff so that was bound to happen either way.
Lets Go Blue Devils!
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Membership Membership:
Latest New User Latest: Kevin Bennett
Past 24 Hours Past 24 Hours: 1
Prev. 24 Hours Prev. 24 Hours: 1
User Count Overall: 4115

People Online People Online:
Visitors Visitors: 149
Members Members: 0
Total Total: 149

Online Now Online Now: