Welcome to CarolinaVarsity.com Forums

NCISAA
Last Post 11/13/2017 8:11 AM by independent. 10 Replies.
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
independent Posts:22 Freshman Member Freshman Member
--
09/19/2017 12:24 PM

There has not been much discussion around the independent schools this year so thought I might start one. Looking at two of the larger privates in Charlotte, it looks like they can compete against anyone. Charlotte Christian is currently #4 in the Charlotte Observer poll. Lost a tough one to 3A Catholic where they had the lead until the last minute then beat S.C. 5A power house Myrtle Beach 54-51, then 2A Hendersonville 63-14. Providence Day might have played one of the tougher schedules among the privates. Their only loss playing away at S.C. 5A Carolina Forest but beating 4A Olympic and S.C. 2AA Andrew Jackson. Never count out Latin, especially since they might have one of the better RBs in the area. CCDS has been way down in the past couple of years.

Both Christian and PD are loaded with players with College Division 1 offers.
CatholicCougs14 Posts:2646
--
09/22/2017 11:10 PM

Christian is the best private school team in the state. Followed by Latin and PDS who seem to be neck and neck. I was overall not totally impressed with PDS when I saw them vs Olympic, but it was week 1 and week 1 can produce some weird games.
Country Day is just not what they once were, numbers are way down and they just are not the same. It's sad how far that program has fallen in such short time. However, they do have a surprising win vs Pittsboro Northwood, I didn't even think they'd compete in that game but they pulled it out. However, I still don't think they're very close to the other privates in Charlotte.
Charlotte Catholic 40+ years of EXCELLENCE State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015, 2017
Dale Ross Posts:31901 Site Admin
--
09/22/2017 11:33 PM

well, give us a private update each week!
Dale Ross

Follow us on Facebook Find CarolinaVarsity on Facebook
Follow CarolinaVarsity on TwitterFollow CarolinaVarsity on Twitter

Beyond Hope Posts:9 Freshman Member Freshman Member
--
09/25/2017 7:23 AM

The larger Charlotte area privates will continue for the next few years. The smaller privates are loosing players at a large rate and I can't see football remaining at some of these schools..victory christian from what I am hearing just cancelled their program for the rest of the year. Northside is down...
--
09/25/2017 7:23 AM

All blowouts. Christian/Ravenscroft 62-6, PD/Cannon 49-10, Latin/Harrels 48-0, CCDS/WS Prep 51-0. It is always tough for the Charlotte big 4 independent schools to find anyone to play them since CMS schools are not allowed to schedule them. I think the State Association stepped up this year and scheduled some of the games to force other privates to play them. This week Latin and Providence Day play, so we find out how good they are this year. I would agree with Cougs that Christian is still the top dog, the only one that looks like they might be able to play with them is PD if you follow the recruiting stories on them.
--
10/02/2017 7:30 AM

CCDS and Christian both won big vs sub-par opponents. Impressive win by PD over Latin. Watched the game. Latin seemed one dimensional on offense during the game while PD is a threat both running and passing on offense. PD has a freshman, Fields, playing on both sides of the ball and dominated the game with a pick 6 on defense and was the go to guy on offense. I think the difference was the size of PD on both the offense and defensive line. Finally seemed to wear down Latin and take control of the game in the 4th quarter. Both teams were well coached. This week Christian plays CCDS where I would project that Christian wins BIG!!! Latin should also bounce back with a win while PD has a bye.
--
10/09/2017 9:13 AM

PD was off this week but the other three teams played. Latin had an easy win over Franklin Christian.(?) The disturbing game was Christian vs CCDS. Talking about a program that has falling way down, CCDS. For some reason CCDS scheduled Christian for their homecoming game. Homecoming at CCDS use to pack the place where it would be standing room only even on the track. Stands were half full by kickoff and maybe only 3/4 full at halftime. Christian looked really good!! and CCDS looked like a bad JV team..Ugly fast. By halftime it was 42-0 and CCDS I think had negative yards on offense. CCDS "stud running back" Newman probably had 15 carries for maybe 5 yards. Probably was not indicative of him as much as it was CCDS OL. Christian took most of their starters out for the second half and CCDS still could not do anything on offense. It was painful to watch a once proud program like CCDS produce such a bad team. Next week CCDS travels to PD, unfortunately for CCDS, it will probably will be the same outcome. The best game might be Latin vs Christ school, it is in Ashville so probably will not make it up to that game. Might just have to sit out this week and go watch a public school game.

CatholicCougs14 Posts:2646
--
10/10/2017 8:42 AM

Independent. I am sure you have taken in a Cook Cup or two between Catholic and Country Day. Used to be students 10 deep on the track and standing room only. Now? There was more red than green on the home side of Belk Stadium. I was floored, but that is what three straight sub-par seasons and what looks to be a fourth coming do to your program. I agree, really sad what has happened over there.
Charlotte Catholic 40+ years of EXCELLENCE State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005, 2015, 2017
Beyond Hope Posts:9 Freshman Member Freshman Member
--
10/12/2017 11:33 AM

Sad thing is I really believe that more and more once proud private programs are going to keep loosing players and the downward spiral will continue.

--
10/23/2017 7:57 AM

Looks like it is a 2 man race between Christian and PD. There is talk about Statesville Christian and Christ School being in the Division 1 playoffs but after PD's easy win over Christ School, not sure those two will be a factor. PD plays Christian this Friday but I would expect they will see each other again in 3 weeks in the Championship.
--
11/13/2017 8:11 AM

The NCISAA really messed up the playoffs this year which really hurt the smaller schools. The top four schools all made it to the championship games. Christian beat PD in the Division 1, playoff game and CCDS plays Latin in the Division 2 championship game on Friday. What could have been a great Division 2 playoff where Statesville Christian, High Point, Christ School or Cannon could have won a championship, they had to play schools much larger than them in the playoffs and not have a chance to make it to a championship game.
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Membership Membership:
Latest New User Latest: CougarDad#77
Past 24 Hours Past 24 Hours: 0
Prev. 24 Hours Prev. 24 Hours: 0
User Count Overall: 4084

People Online People Online:
Visitors Visitors: 356
Members Members: 0
Total Total: 356

Online Now Online Now:

What's happening when and where...