Welcome to CarolinaVarsity.com Forums

1A Southern Piedmont Conference predictions
Last Post 06/26/2017 8:03 PM by Mint Hill. 27 Replies.
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Jim West Posts:1071
--
06/04/2017 8:16 PM 0

This is a somewhat controversial conference.  Why?  Many non-traditional teams (i.e. Charters) are in this conference.  Here are my thoughts:

1. Thomas Jefferson.  This will be the Gryphons' year to win the conference championship.  Most of the team returns and there is an abundance of depth.  I would not be surprised if TJ played Murphy deep in the playoffs.
  2. Mountain Island Charter.  The Raptors gave Murphy all they wanted last year in the 1A 3rd round playoffs.  They have a great QB returning but lost some key running backs and receivers.  The defense should be about the same as last year.
  3. Bessemer City.  The Yellow Jackets lost a lot of key players on offense but should find some replacements from their roster.  Might be a bit down from last year's squad.
  4. Pine Lake Prep.  The Pride have some holes to fill on offense.  Their defense should improve as many players return.  For a 1A squad, Pine Lake Prep has good depth.
  5. Union Academy.  The Cardinals have a lot of holes to fill on both sides of the ball.  Like Pine Lake Prep, they have decent depth.  Might be a tad inexperienced in this conference.
  6. Cherryville.  This will be a young Ironmen squad.  It will be a struggle to finish in the top half of this conference.
  7. Community School of Davidson.  I don't see much experience coming back from last year's 1-10 squad.
  8. Highland.  I don't see the Rams winning a conference game.

I think Thomas Jefferson is the clear favorite in this conference with Mountain Island Charter a few steps behind.  Bessemer City, Pine Lake Prep, and Union Academy will duke it out for 3rd.

Thoughts?

Dale Ross Posts:31380 Site Admin
--
06/04/2017 9:05 PM 0
charter schools, they follow the rules of the NCHSAA, no problem.

It'll be interesting to see how things shake out with the top two here.
Dale Ross

Follow us on Facebook Find CarolinaVarsity on Facebook
Follow CarolinaVarsity on TwitterFollow CarolinaVarsity on Twitter

--
06/04/2017 9:07 PM 0
Agree about charters. Many rural areas have contrary views, however. Lots of allegations of recruiting with no evidence.
--
06/04/2017 9:07 PM 0

Like I mentioned yesterday, I'll start something up on Charter schools; Look to the North Carolina Football forum

Dale Ross

Smoking Gunz Posts:36 Freshman Member Freshman Member
--
06/04/2017 10:18 PM 0

TJ on paper looks to be the favorite same as last year this time. Give it another month and your projection will change at the number 1 spot. BC will be better than what paper says as well. 

--
06/04/2017 10:22 PM 0
So what can you tell us about BC?
Dale Ross

--
06/04/2017 10:26 PM 0

BC returns a strong line on both sides of the ball with senior leadership. Add in the fact that they're loaded with raw athletes, I say they don't miss a beat. My guess it comes down to BC, TJ and MICS with no clear favorite.

Daniel Camp Posts:41 Freshman Member Freshman Member
--
06/16/2017 2:07 PM 0

Is BC better than last year? TJ beat BC handily last season, son unless BC is "much" better than last year, I don't see them hanging with MICS and TJ

--
06/16/2017 2:43 PM 0
@Daniel Camp, but can we expect TJ and MICS to be as good as last year?
Dale Ross

--
06/17/2017 1:56 AM 0
MICS adds a D1 6'3 215 LB from GA that dominated 5A, 6'2 LB from SC and Marcus Graham. Plus they return mostly all of the OL and 5'10 210 sophomore RB that TJ struggled to stop. TJ brings back a stout team with the addition of 2 Shelby kids. TJ QB is nothing to snooze at. He's a ball player but wear and tear will be a big factor. He plays defense, special team and QB.

Side note I was looking at Graham's highlights and I'm trying to figure out how any southern piedmont 1A team will keep him under control. TJ struggled with MICS speed and Aapri Washington at QB and he wasn't a thrower, Graham can throw as good as anyone. MICS got faster at WR and adds Graham who can run just as good as Aapri. I won't count TJ or BC out but if you watch the video explain how they will stop him healthy.

Graham highlights

https://
--
06/17/2017 12:42 PM 0
@Smoking Gunz , who is this kid from Georgia, and the one from SC? Marcus Graham I know about he's a good looking athlete.

So TJ has picked up some Shelby kids? Do you know who those are? I've heard about some movement away from Shelby, perhaps this is what I was hearing.
Dale Ross

--
06/17/2017 2:02 PM 0

@Daniel Camp will have to fill you in on the TJ situation. 

If my memory serves me correct one of them had to sit out last year. I may be wrong but I'm guessing at this point. I don't know the names of the players I will have to get it from my friend. 

--
06/17/2017 7:41 PM 0
Just trying to gauge the impact it has on both TJ and Shelby
Dale Ross

--
06/18/2017 12:09 AM 0

The player that had to sit out a year last year was a Rutherford County kid. I haven't heard about any kids from Shelby coming to TJ.  

Smoking Gunz in terms of wear and tear on #14, I'm confident in his ability. He was a sophmore last year, and even though i don't know him extremely well, I know that he is an athlete and I know he wants to do everything he can to help this team and he will do everything he can. And from what I've heard TJ has another QB with as good of an arm (maybe better) than Nomi. Now I haven't seen the kid personally, so I can't confirm or deny, but my brothers have seen both of them in practice, so I mostly trust their opinions. 

TJ's WR group seems weaker now than it did on paper at the end of last season. Summer Practices and the scrimmages just became a lot more important for the WR group. 

MICS is scary good, and knows how to draw good players to the program. If TJ is to win the division they will have to play their best all season. MICS seems to have so much talent that they don't necessarily have to play their "best" every week. And please don't take that in the wrong way.

Also how many Seniors does MICS have now? Just wondering

--
06/18/2017 1:38 AM 0

I belive MICS will have 5 to 6 seniors with a loaded junior class. The talent is there but that talent still needs to be coached. I don't think the coaches get enough credit for the work they do with these young men. I'm around the program and I believe Pep and Dale will agree, the job that Coach Washington and his assistants are doing hasn't really been done on this level in awhile. They gave the state champs Murphy all they could handle in year 2 of the program and they have been to the playoffs the last 2 years and they only been around for 2 years. Remember the team was 0-4 with the same talent before Coach Washington took over. I believe TJ handled them in one of those loses. 50 to 7 at halftime??? After he took over they've been 18-4. People talk a lot about players coming in but no one stops to think that these guys are marketing the program and sending players to college at a high rate while taking a caring approach. That's what'draw players to the school. They're predicted to be in the state championship hunt in only year 3, C'mon who does that? 

It's easy to hide behind the "they got athletes" thing but so do West Charlotte and Ashbrook and neither are winning right now. @Camp what I saw both times you guys played was TJ got out coached. I know that's taboo to say given your coaches expereince but it's true. You guys came in with one game plan on defense to blitz the crap out of #10 and MICS knew it. No plan B or C. On offense it was the same predictable stuff. Look at how many sets and formations MICS threw at you guys while running maybe 8 to 9 of the same plays. 

#14 is a ball player but it's only so much one can take. MICS didn't even use #8 all the time until the big games. If my memory serves me #14 was knocked out of the first MICS game at the end of the game. Using him up like that will help TJ win some games but what about the kid?  If the kid has any dreams of playing at the next level you do know college coaches pay attention to the wear and tear thing. Maybe it's not that big of a deal to TJ but I'm saying the kid is only a junior and has more miles on him then my 1995 chevy impala. Just some food for thought. 

Ladge Posts:423 Junior Member Junior Member
--
06/18/2017 9:00 AM 0
When you refer to coaching at this level, do you mean 1A? If so the past 4 years West Montgomery has had a very accomplished staff, which is why they may be down this year. Eddins going to Crest and taking an assistant, and Neal becoming HC at Southern Lee and taking coach Johnson with him, West lost 4 very good coaches.
--
06/18/2017 12:37 PM 0

@Ladge I was referring to the fact of MICS being a brand new football program 2 years old . Keep in mind the head man does have 2 state championships under his belt so he's not exactly wet behind the ears. I was just giving them props since I never see that being mentioned. 

WM has done some very special things the 4 to 5 years. Crest just got better with that hire and should be instant title contenders. Southern Lee will make some noise and that staff will have those boys playing duscpline and sound football. 

--
06/18/2017 9:50 PM 0

Only 5 or 6 seniors? MICS had 10 Juniors last season on the roster, did they lose some guys?

And I was slightly coaching or saying the coaching isn't good. But when you have as much talent as you do, you can make some mistakes and still win games. If TJ makes mistakes (turns over the ball, etc) they are more likely to lose than MICS IMO. And no matter how good the coaches are, teams make mistakes occasionally. 

Look leave Cash out of it, for many reasons. Cash has won state championships, and has been coaching for a long time. Maybe he doesn't always call the right plays, and maybe he has gotten on my nerves a time or two, but he's not changing. And BTW our offense was working, MICS didn't have much of an answer for our offense either. And you want to run different formations and use trickery go right ahead, and if it works for you fine, but trying to mix it up every play and trying to change things up too often can also create mistakes for your own team, especially because we are still talking about high school kids. 

Also Gunz, #14 isn't the only guy playing offense/defense/STs. TJ tries to limit that as much as possible, but sometimes you have to do that, when you are a small school and only have so many special athletes like #14. And no #14 didn't get knocked out of either game. He wasn't doing well after the end of the 1st game, but he played until the end. He had some hydration/dehydration problems last year, which caused him to cramp, and that was were a lot of the problems came from, but that is something that he can fix. My brothers had cramping issues especially when they were Sophmores and younger. It happens. And also I beg you to take your opinions/concerns to the TJs coaches. LOL. See what they have to say. If you are trulys "so" concerned with his well being/mileage. 

--
06/18/2017 11:22 PM 0
Posted By Daniel Camp on 06/18/2017 9:50 PM

Only 5 or 6 seniors? MICS had 10 Juniors last season on the roster, did they lose some guys?

And I was slightly coaching or saying the coaching isn't good. But when you have as much talent as you do, you can make some mistakes and still win games. If TJ makes mistakes (turns over the ball, etc) they are more likely to lose than MICS IMO. And no matter how good the coaches are, teams make mistakes occasionally. 

Look leave Cash out of it, for many reasons. Cash has won state championships, and has been coaching for a long time. Maybe he doesn't always call the right plays, and maybe he has gotten on my nerves a time or two, but he's not changing. And BTW our offense was working, MICS didn't have much of an answer for our offense either. And you want to run different formations and use trickery go right ahead, and if it works for you fine, but trying to mix it up every play and trying to change things up too often can also create mistakes for your own team, especially because we are still talking about high school kids. 

Also Gunz, #14 isn't the only guy playing offense/defense/STs. TJ tries to limit that as much as possible, but sometimes you have to do that, when you are a small school and only have so many special athletes like #14. And no #14 didn't get knocked out of either game. He wasn't doing well after the end of the 1st game, but he played until the end. He had some hydration/dehydration problems last year, which caused him to cramp, and that was were a lot of the problems came from, but that is something that he can fix. My brothers had cramping issues especially when they were Sophmores and younger. It happens. And also I beg you to take your opinions/concerns to the TJs coaches. LOL. See what they have to say. If you are trulys "so" concerned with his well being/mileage. 

4 of those players are not playing this year. How many fumbles or interceptions did MICS have against you guys in the combined 2 games? I counted 1 interception. That don't seem like a lot of mistakes to me. I never said anything negative about the coach. I just said he got out coached. Guess what it's football and things like that happen from time to time no matter how great the coach is. I didn't see any tricky from MICS did you? I saw a one sided game plan from TJ that back fired. Camp it's not the end of the world it happens.Look how many huge plays MICS had against you all in the last game. You guys would take 6 minutes to score and MICS may score in 1 to 2 minutes. On one play I believe it was 30 seconds. Now let's go back to 2015, same talent different coach. You guys destroyed MICS in 2015. Not even close 50 to 7 at halftime. Different coach and it's 85 to 53 in two games. 

Don't start that small 1A stuff either, you guys had 51 players on your roster last year. Those are some of the largest numbers in 1A. It's no excuse to use that kid up like that. How many Kickoffs did he return last year? I count 0. You mean to tell me no one out of 51 can get trained to return for 0 TDs? How many teams use the QB to return kickoffs? 

--
06/19/2017 12:30 AM 0

Mics had a fumble or two in those games. 

Switching up the formations, especially if you are doing it often, might fool the defense, but it can all cause the offense to make mistakes. Players not lining up correctly, etc. I said if it works for MICS fine, but that doesn't mean TJ should do it. 

And also you ask most people, they would rather have extended drives and take time off the clock than rely on just big plays to score points. Taking 6 minutes of the clock is not usually a bad thing LOL as long as you score. 

Same talent, different coach? It was also the programs first year, maybe the players had played elsewhere, but most if not all had never played with one another or even that coach. That should be taken in to account to. And when Washington was brought in, were all the other coaches also changed? Or did some of them stay the same?

Of those 51 players, 15 of them were Freshmen, so make that only about 36 players that we would/could  have used regularly. We did have a JV team for part of the season, and if you don't know you can't play JV and Varsity at the same time for more than so many Quarters. And if you play one play in a quarter that counts as 1 quarter. So you have to be smart about when and if you use players that are also on the JV team.

Again dude I'M NOT A COACH!!!!! And I have no say in how much #14 plays. STOP ACTING LIKE I FREAKING DO. IF YOU HAVE SUCH A FREAKING PROBLEM GET YOUR FREAKING BUTT IN A CAR DRIVE DOWN TO TJ AND TAKE THAT UP WITH THE COACHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OR STOP TALKING ABOUT #14.

And also you can't watch every kickoff/punt of TJs season. And you haven't watched every punt/kickoff of TJ's season. #14 had a few punt/kick returns for a TD. He wasn't the only guy back there on Kickoffs, but he usually wanted to take the ball. He had 12 KO returns for 382 yards (31.8 yards average) and 33 Punt Returns for 136 yards

--
06/19/2017 2:10 AM 0
Posted By Daniel Camp on 06/19/2017 12:30 AM

Mics had a fumble or two in those games. 

Switching up the formations, especially if you are doing it often, might fool the defense, but it can all cause the offense to make mistakes. Players not lining up correctly, etc. I said if it works for MICS fine, but that doesn't mean TJ should do it. 

And also you ask most people, they would rather have extended drives and take time off the clock than rely on just big plays to score points. Taking 6 minutes of the clock is not usually a bad thing LOL as long as you score. 

Same talent, different coach? It was also the programs first year, maybe the players had played elsewhere, but most if not all had never played with one another or even that coach. That should be taken in to account to. And when Washington was brought in, were all the other coaches also changed? Or did some of them stay the same?

Of those 51 players, 15 of them were Freshmen, so make that only about 36 players that we would/could  have used regularly. We did have a JV team for part of the season, and if you don't know you can't play JV and Varsity at the same time for more than so many Quarters. And if you play one play in a quarter that counts as 1 quarter. So you have to be smart about when and if you use players that are also on the JV team.

Again dude I'M NOT A COACH!!!!! And I have no say in how much #14 plays. STOP ACTING LIKE I FREAKING DO. IF YOU HAVE SUCH A FREAKING PROBLEM GET YOUR FREAKING BUTT IN A CAR DRIVE DOWN TO TJ AND TAKE THAT UP WITH THE COACHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OR STOP TALKING ABOUT #14.

And also you can't watch every kickoff/punt of TJs season. And you haven't watched every punt/kickoff of TJ's season. #14 had a few punt/kick returns for a TD. He wasn't the only guy back there on Kickoffs, but he usually wanted to take the ball. He had 12 KO returns for 382 yards (31.8 yards average) and 33 Punt Returns for 136 yards

MICS did not have any fumbles go back and check the box scores. I know that's hard to believe making that you all was the better coached team LOL. Most people don't want 6 minute drives when they're down and the other team is scoring quicker. The formation switch came after halftime once it was clear that TJ didn't make adjustments. It's called coaching. You are clearly in the dark on this subject as you were going into the last game last year. Same stuff this year and save me the "will getem next year" or "They have too many athletes". 

Only 2 players #4 and #8 played with the coach before. That team also featured Pendergrass #5 who left after that year to help South Pointe Rock Hill win a state championship. He caught the game winning TD in the semis for them. MICS only had 4 new players that never played with the previous coach everyone else was returners. When the change was made 4 new coaches was brought in and several coaches reassigned new duties. It was not the same complete staff to answer your question. I'm just pointing out what no one else is willing to admit. I will give you the benefit of not knowing these facts previously but now you know. 

36 is still a lot in the SP 1A division. It does not list any returns for #14 under his maxpreps. In which MP has all his stats listed game by game. For the sake of this arguement say he did return a few. Who did he do it against Highland Tech and Hickory Grove, C'mon man. I don't care how great of a athlete you are how deadly will you really be  tired returning. What next have him coaching a position?  No one out of 36 could return but the QB? I'm still waiting for you to answer what other teams allow the QB to return kickoffs and punts? Atleast #1 got smart and realized he was being used up. Use them up for the sake of adding to the old win record huh? What are the players getting out of it? A pat on the back and a full ride to Bojango's College after they graduate? You guys could beat MICS 20 times next year and still lose to MICS at the end. 

--
06/19/2017 5:25 AM 1
Not trying to throw fuel on the fire, but a school such a Plymouth uses 6 basic plays and hardly ever deviates from those 6 plays. The Vikings use a Wing-T formation and have won two championships and five east regional games in the past 5 years.

From talking to coaches, many prefer keeping things as simple as possible. There are others, however, who will add wrinkles to the playbook as the season progresses. In many ways, it's like trying to teach a fastball/curve pitcher how to throw the slider. If you teach the pitcher how to throw the slider, it might negatively impact the fastball or the curve ball. In essence, some will lose the fundamentals of how to make that transition.

--
06/19/2017 12:01 PM 0

Again go down to TJ and tell the Coaches that you have a problem with #14 playing so much. Tell them that he is hurting his future. And see what that gets you.

And by #1 leaving it means TJ will have a few more players playing both offense and defense (and STs) to replace him. And where #1 is going he is going to have trouble playing for them because they already have good depth at WR and they just won the 2A State Championship last season (and the last few seasons). 

--
06/19/2017 1:45 PM 0
Come help us out! Carolina Varsity will be covering the 1A Southern Piedmont Conference this upcoming season. Contact us if you can help!

https://
--
06/19/2017 8:49 PM 1
goodness, you'd think it was fall already...
Dale Ross

--
06/19/2017 9:07 PM 0

Camp It's no need to go to the TJ coaches they will keep using them up for the win record. I was addressing this with you fan to fan. Rather you admit it or not these players are getting nothing. These players are being used up with nothng to show. 

#1 will be just fine he's not afraid to compete. He made the best move for his future. The kid could be second string at Shelby and still get more catchong 10000 yards at TJ. 

Slash Posts:7 Middle School Middle School
--
06/25/2017 2:31 AM 0
Anyone got any info on Community School?

We have them during our non conference slate.
Mint Hill Posts:1 Middle School Middle School
--
06/26/2017 8:03 PM 0

CSD struggled last year. They have a very good QB but he doesn't have a lot of help.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Membership Membership:
Latest New User Latest: Mint Hill
Past 24 Hours Past 24 Hours: 1
Prev. 24 Hours Prev. 24 Hours: 0
User Count Overall: 3956

People Online People Online:
Visitors Visitors: 579
Members Members: 2
Total Total: 581

Online Now Online Now:
Online Hold The Line