Forums

TAD BAUCOM IS THE NEW HEAD FOOTBALL COACH AT SUN VALLEY
Last Post 02/26/2014 8:28 PM by wingnuttz. 49 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
bigpapa Sophomore Member Sophomore Member Private Message: Posts:836
--
01/10/2014 6:18 AM
Really ??? Someone help me here !!!! This is a head scratcher and makes no sense !!!

This is the 2nd coach now that this NEW principal and Athletic Director have made and I'll be damned if they haven't gotten it wrong again !!!!!
There were plenty of other candidates ( SHUFORD among others ) that should have gotten this job.

" THE BUDDY SYSTEM WORKS EVERY TIME "
CatholicCougs14 Junior Member Junior Member Private Message: Posts:1360
--
01/10/2014 7:27 AM
He did win at Monroe for many years....obviously different circumstances and situations, but I think he will do well at SV I think it is a decent hire truthfully
Charlotte Catholic 40 years of EXCELLENCE State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005
Dale Ross Site Admin Senior Member Senior Member Private Message: Posts:26800
--
01/10/2014 9:48 AM
bigpapa this seems to be more "their guy" than the last hire. If that is good or bad remains to be seen. we'll know soon enough. Next season is fast approaching!
Dale Ross

Follow us on Facebook Find CarolinaVarsity on Facebook
Follow CarolinaVarsity on TwitterFollow CarolinaVarsity on Twitter

SPARTY Private Message: Posts:117
--
01/10/2014 3:57 PM
Well I do know he will gain respect with in the program. I think this could be a good opportunity for him to shine! I do agree with bigpapa Shuford would be nice but Poole and Bachelor hired who they wanted!I can say he is a players Coach did well at CATA or atleast as good as someone could do!Our program did well with Stein and he was a players coach. If all else fails with the football gig he is one hell of a softball coach!
--
01/10/2014 6:17 PM
Since he is "their guy", I would expect he will ultimate support. That means a lot.
Dale Ross

wingnuttz Freshman Member Freshman Member Private Message: Posts:34
--
01/11/2014 12:42 PM
Congrats to the Sun Valley Spartans on their hire of a total dysfunctional coach. someone who held a title but was absent from the program. Someone who coached the smallest 2 a program in the state and had to have 11 coaches. Someone who told 3 coaches they would be the offensive coordiincluding an 11 yr NFL running back whom he coached and won a state title with the current head football coach as his offensive Coord.only to have discord umong staff. Someone who had the most overall team size and team speed in CATAs football history only to win 3 games, and had a 130lb running back playing nose guard. A coach who prides himself only to demean young men. The old saying a Bird of a feather flocks together here.And well yes sir the good ole boys are at work. Time will reveal this coachs true colors. What will he do with one of the best backs in the state, a leading long snapper recruit. a solid group of football players, time will tell. Get ready spartan fans it not about you but about him!!!!!!!! By the way I do not have to hide behind a computer screen he knows how I/and many others feel!!! Cata will survive and has a great group of young men coming back Go cougars!!!
--
01/11/2014 1:14 PM

Posted By <a href='http://carolinavarsity.com/UserProfile/tabid/224/userid/7970/Default.aspx' class='af-profile-link'>wingnuttz</a> on 01/11/2014 12:42 PM
Congrats to the Sun Valley Spartans on their hire of a total dysfunctional coach. someone who held a title but was absent from the program. Someone who coached the smallest 2 a program in the state and had to have 11 coaches. Someone who told 3 coaches they would be the offensive coordiincluding an 11 yr NFL running back whom he coached and won a state title with the current head football coach as his offensive Coord.only to have discord umong staff. Someone who had the most overall team size and team speed in CATAs football history only to win 3 games, and had a 130lb running back playing nose guard. A coach who prides himself only to demean young men. The old saying a Bird of a feather flocks together here.And well yes sir the good ole boys are at work. Time will reveal this coachs true colors. What will he do with one of the best backs in the state, a leading long snapper recruit. a solid group of football players, time will tell. Get ready spartan fans it not about you but about him!!!!!!!! By the way I do not have to hide behind a computer screen he knows how I/and many others feel!!! Cata will survive and has a great group of young men coming back Go cougars!!!

Classic !!!!!!!! I knew it !!! 👎👎👎👎
pepman Dale's right Hand Man Junior Member Junior Member Private Message: Posts:4270
--
01/11/2014 8:05 PM
Welcome to the site wingnuttz. Thanks for that commentary. Who is CATA looking at to replace Baucom?
Reach me directly: pepmancv@gmail.com We don't just report it. We ANALYZE IT!
wingnuttz Private Message: Posts:17
--
01/11/2014 9:44 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I Dont have an inside scoop on your ? I would guess that the AD and Principal will have to follow policy and post the Job. I may have been a little harsh in my first post, but it is spot on. I wish him well just disappointed in how he handled the season at CATA. Not sure as I try not to pass on rumor But I have been told that Coach Jeff Sholar was considering applying. Jeff Has been coaching a long time and is from a winning program Forest Hills and would bring alot to the table.

It would nice if this process was an open process and that people who had a stake in the school Ie Boosters Club Financial contributors had some input in the process.
pepman Dale's right Hand Man Junior Member Junior Member Private Message: Posts:4270
--
01/12/2014 10:33 AM
I'm sure the booster club could go to the administration and AD and request a conversation in the very least regarding the position.
--
01/12/2014 12:55 PM
I suppose you reserve that right, to late the hire is done. Im sure the response to any ? you had would be an intelligent rationalized and justified response. Just my 2 cents.

As I stated I wish the spartans alot of success pay attention the staff that is retained.
ref4e Middle School Middle School Private Message: Posts:10
--
01/13/2014 12:00 PM
Really ??? Someone help me here !!!! This is a head scratcher and makes no sense !!!

This is the 2nd coach now that this NEW principal and Athletic Director have made and I'll be damned if they haven't gotten it wrong again !!!!!
There were plenty of other candidates ( SHUFORD among others ) that should have gotten this job.

Big Papa....are you sure Shuford was ever a candidate? Granted, he resigned at Olympic, but my understanding is that he is stepping away from coaching to follow his two children in their college sports participation. Shuford is generally a pretty blunt and straight shooter, so unless you know something for sure, I doubt he ever was in the mix for this job.
wideout6 Private Message: Posts:104
--
01/13/2014 12:04 PM
Shuford wasn't a candidate. BigPapa was simply stating that there may have been better options available.
--
01/13/2014 4:12 PM
Posted by Big Papa:

Posted by ref4e:
Big Papa....are you sure Shuford was ever a candidate? Granted, he resigned at Olympic, but my understanding is that he is stepping away from coaching to follow his two children in their college sports participation. Shuford is generally a pretty blunt and straight shooter, so unless you know something for sure, I doubt he ever was in the mix for this job.

Posted by wideout6:
Shuford wasn't a candidate. BigPapa was simply stating that there may have been better options available.

Hmmm. Based on what wideout says, I'm illiterate as well as blind.
--
01/13/2014 4:18 PM
what would be interesting is how may applications were made and who? how many were interviewed? HMMMM Just saying
--
01/13/2014 4:57 PM
I don't think you'll ever get a full list of who applied. I'd like to know who interviewed. I know who didn't. I don't think anyone had a shot at this job other than the hire.
Dale Ross

tes131313 Sophomore Member Sophomore Member Private Message: Posts:507
--
01/13/2014 8:07 PM
Dale you are correct I believe this decision was made last summer before the season started. Hall was just a stop gap. I have heard there were less than 5 applicants interviewed for the position.
UnionCountyDad Middle School Middle School Private Message: Posts:16
--
01/15/2014 7:15 AM
It will be interesting to see how many good Weddington players are heading to SV from redistricting the maps are out now on UCPS site, I saw a lot of neighborhoods from Cutty going to Parkwood as well, and Marvin lost about 7 neighborhoods to Weddington and 1 to Cutty.Porter Ridge,Piedmont,Monroe was affected as well, looks like, heard to pull up every map. Of course nothing set in stone yet, 3 or 4 months to make finals numbers. Sports will be affected by redistricting the whole county. I did hear that rising JR'S next year will be grandfathered in, so they can stay at there current school for 2 years, vs just rising seniors staying at the current school. 2 years is better than 1 for some.
--
01/15/2014 1:02 PM
Coaching changes and redistricting ... joy joy in UC.
Dale Ross

--
01/15/2014 5:50 PM
So according to the Newspaper Baucom is 58 years old and has been coaching since 1978 which means he has 35 years in the school system ???? Like I said earlier he is at the end of the line and I have NO idea why they went in this direction ( OTHER THAN THIS IS A BUDDY CLUB HIRE ) not fair to the Kids nor the School ??????? Unless he puts together one hell of a staff this spells DISASTER !!!!!

--
01/15/2014 6:58 PM
Posted By bigpapa on 01/15/2014 5:50 PM
So according to the Newspaper Baucom is 58 years old and has been coaching since 1978 which means he has 35 years in the school system ???? Like I said earlier he is at the end of the line and I have NO idea why they went in this direction ( OTHER THAN THIS IS A BUDDY CLUB HIRE ) not fair to the Kids nor the School ??????? Unless he puts together one hell of a staff this spells DISASTER !!!!!

math is right!!!! Could have retired at 30 yrs!!!(Buddy System Right Again) Staff Disaster RIGHT AGAIN!!!
Hope not for the Student Athletes, Just my 2 CENTS!!! Cant wait to see who what when and where.

onceArebel Middle School Middle School Private Message: Posts:2
--
01/15/2014 8:01 PM
Normally I just read the comments on this blog, but I simply won't sit idle while so many of the uninformed and so many of you who wouldn't know Coach Baucom if he came up to you on the street talk crap about him and do damage to his good name......SO LET'S GET A FEW THINGS STRAIGHT.

First, Coach Hall was not the first choice for the Sun Valley coaches position last year. The person who was to be the coach backed out after initially accepting the position last summer before the choice was made public. After Dr. Poole was named Principal, he re-opened the coaching search where Coach Hall was then selected.

Second, Coach Baucom has not accumilated enough time to retire and will be coaching and teaching for the next several years. He left the school system to help his brother run the family construction business back in the mid 1990's after his fathers health began to decline.

Third, It wasn't the "Good Old Boy Network" that got Coach Baucom hired. He sat before a panel of 4-5 members of the Sun Valley staff and was subjected to the same question and answer interview as the other candidates. Obviously he impressed that panel and based on their recommendation Coach Baucom was offered and accepted the position. While I do agree that knowing Dr. Poole and the Athletic Director, Chris Batchelor, may have helped him get the interview, they were not the only ones making the decision and Baucom got this position based on his own merits and accomplishments.

Fourth, Barry Shuford never applied for, interviewed for, or showed anyy interest in this position. He is out of coaching by his own choice to spend more time watching his kids play sports in college.

Fifth, In the 3 seasons he was there Coach Baucom totally changed the attitude of the student athletes he coached. In his first season his team won more games (6) than in it's prior four years of existance(4). In that same season he took the 16th seeded Cougars on the road in the state playoffs and upset the #1 seed. He leaves them with a completeley re-designed and properly equipped weight room. In 3 short years he has laid the foundation for the program to continue to improve.

Lastly I will say this. My brother played for Coach Baucom when he coached at Monroe. My son played for him when he was an assistant at Piedmont. In the 25 yearks I have known him I have not known a finer man nor can I think of a better man to lead the Sun Valley Program. He is the Head Coach of Sun Valley Footabll and deserves cour support. He has not wronged us in any way. He deserves our trust until such a time his actions dictate otherwise.....and that time will never come. His age, who he knows, where he's coached, how long he will be here.......all that is irrelevant. What is relevant is that his intentions are honorable, he is a fine coach and an even better man and our sons and daughter will be for the better having interacted with not only him but with those whom he associates with. He is a man of integrity whos character is above reproach.

--
01/15/2014 8:47 PM

Posted By onceArebel on 01/15/2014 8:01 PM

Normally I just read the comments on this blog, but I simply won't sit idle while so many of the uninformed and so many of you who wouldn't know Coach Baucom if he came up to you on the street talk crap about him and do damage to his good name......SO LET'S GET A FEW THINGS STRAIGHT.

First, Coach Hall was not the first choice for the Sun Valley coaches position last year. The person who was to be the coach backed out after initially accepting the position last summer before the choice was made public. After Dr. Poole was named Principal, he re-opened the coaching search where Coach Hall was then selected.

Second, Coach Baucom has not accumilated enough time to retire and will be coaching and teaching for the next several years. He left the school system to help his brother run the family construction business back in the mid 1990's after his fathers health began to decline.

Third, It wasn't the "Good Old Boy Network" that got Coach Baucom hired. He sat before a panel of 4-5 members of the Sun Valley staff and was subjected to the same question and answer interview as the other candidates. Obviously he impressed that panel and based on their recommendation Coach Baucom was offered and accepted the position. While I do agree that knowing Dr. Poole and the Athletic Director, Chris Batchelor, may have helped him get the interview, they were not the only ones making the decision and Baucom got this position based on his own merits and accomplishments.

Fourth, Barry Shuford never applied for, interviewed for, or showed anyy interest in this position. He is out of coaching by his own choice to spend more time watching his kids play sports in college.

Fifth, In the 3 seasons he was there Coach Baucom totally changed the attitude of the student athletes he coached. In his first season his team won more games (6) than in it's prior four years of existance(4). In that same season he took the 16th seeded Cougars on the road in the state playoffs and upset the #1 seed. He leaves them with a completeley re-designed and properly equipped weight room. In 3 short years he has laid the foundation for the program to continue to improve.

Lastly I will say this. My brother played for Coach Baucom when he coached at Monroe. My son played for him when he was an assistant at Piedmont. In the 25 yearks I have known him I have not known a finer man nor can I think of a better man to lead the Sun Valley Program. He is the Head Coach of Sun Valley Footabll and deserves cour support. He has not wronged us in any way. He deserves our trust until such a time his actions dictate otherwise.....and that time will never come. His age, who he knows, where he's coached, how long he will be here.......all that is irrelevant. What is relevant is that his intentions are honorable, he is a fine coach and an even better man and our sons and daughter will be for the better having interacted with not only him but with those whom he associates with. He is a man of integrity whos character is above reproach.      

Well welcome to the Board !!! 1st of all I can only speak for myself but I have never attacked Tad Baucoms character !!!! No one is questioning what type of person he is. The complaints now are the same as when Paul Hall was hired at SV and they are that this is program should be able to draw A HIGHER PROFILE COACH to the school. I have been around the county for many years and around the SV program for the last 12 years. I know where it was when Bill Flippin was there and I know what work went into where Scott Stein put them on the map !!!!! I have heard tons of compliments about the character of Coach Baucom but hell that doesn't win ball games ???? If you want to throw rocks then let's go .......... I know people that were on the staff at Piedmont when Rusty Jester left and then they went through several Head Coaches before Ron Massey and it was NO SECRET THAT Coach Baucom applied for the Head Football Job at Piedmont several times and didn't get the job ......... He eventually left Piedmont to get a Head Coaching Job @ CATA. There is no question that knowing Dr Poole and the AD Chris Batchelor had to do with this hire. You can have as many people on the panel as you want but that is just a formality and going through the motions type of thing !!!

I ALSO KNOW FOR A FACT THAT BARRY SHUFORD HAD INTEREST IN THIS JOB AND IS ACTIVELY PURSUING A FOOTBALL JOB AS WE SPEAK !!!

I HOPE I AM WRONG MY FAMILY IS A SUN VALLEY FAMILY AND WE WEAR IT LOUD AND PROUD !!!! I WANT NOTHING BUT SUCCESS FOR THIS PROGRAM !!!  

--
01/15/2014 11:50 PM
Posted By onceArebel on 01/15/2014 8:01 PM

Item 1: Ok... the coach that "backed out" of the Sun Valley job. He was offered, he accepted and then he was told that it would not be "official" for a month. He could do NOTHING for a month as the Head Coach. The County apparently wanted to name all new coaches at the same time. That information comes first hand from the coach that backed out of the job. As luck would have it there was a closer job to home for him and he could get started immediately. So he took that job. Sun Valley/Union County not making things official when they extended the offer is the reason your "first choice" got away. Blame it on Sun Valley, blame it on the County.

Item 2: I have no knowledge, thanks for making that point clear.

Item 3: All indicators are that Sun Valley was not serious at looking at other candidates. I have no idea who you are. So why should we trust your information? If you want to let me know who you are in private that is fine, I'll not share. If you are actually in a position of knowing I'll back you up.

Item 4: On Barry Shuford, to be clear he will be coaching again somewhere.

Item 5: I cannot comment on.

Dale Ross

onceArebel Middle School Middle School Private Message: Posts:2
--
01/16/2014 6:36 AM
I am related to someone who was on the interview panel, who is not Dr. Poole or Chris Batchelor, so forgive me when I take it personal when people question the integrity of a process my relative was involved in.

Barry Shuford may coach again, but he himself has been quoted as saying it will not be this year as he left Olympic to spend more time watching his daughter play on college.

Listen, I didn't mean to ruffle anyones feathers, it just kills me to sit back and watch people BASH Coach Baucom without knowing much about him or withought giving him a chance. The Piedmont job you speak of was offered to him but only if he agreed to stop coaching the softball team on which his daughter played. She was a senior and he had promised to coach her until she graduated. he kept his word to her. That is an honorable man.

In the end I know this, He is a Christian man who eats, sleeps, breathes, and bleeds football. He will rejuvinate the SV program and in several years when it is time for him to retire, SV will be better off for hiring him. People just need to give him the same opportunity to succeed that they would want if they were in his shoes.

--
01/16/2014 8:22 AM
Rebel, thanks for your comments on this subject.

When it comes to Barry Shuford though, trust Dale on that one.

I do agree that some people need to reserve judgement in the case of any hire. Dale beat me to the punch on everything else here, lol.
CatholicCougs14 Junior Member Junior Member Private Message: Posts:1360
--
01/16/2014 8:23 AM
Once a Rebel he won 5 games his 1st yr not 6 just pointing that out
Charlotte Catholic 40 years of EXCELLENCE State Champions: 1977, 2004, 2005
--
01/16/2014 9:04 AM

@onceArebel, I sounds like your information is second-to-third hand. probably better than most but... not enough for me to think that the hire wasn't a good ole boy network hire. AND I am not saying that was a bad thing either. Just saying.

OK so I've read back over the thread.

@wingnutz, you say that you do not have to hide behind a screen name. Who are you? Help us out here to give your comments some credibility.

Let me address your original post.

Why is it bad to have 11-coaches? If they are all good coaches that can be managed; that is an EXCELLENT thing. You need to explain that one as I don't get it  Yes it is certainly a large number of coaches and not normal for a 2A program. But not really enough to say it is a bad thing until we learn what each coach did and how it all worked.

Told 3-coaches they would/could be OC? That in itself is not enough information to slam a coach .Maybe upon further review none of those coaches could do the job. Maybe none wanted the job. Maybe the person finally selected was the best option in HIS mind. He is the HC and that's the way it goes. Why should I - And I would think anyone else - believe this to be a problem?

Had the most overall team size and team in history; only to win 3-games. Was it? I honestly don't know and would need someone I trust to tell me that. Right now you are just a screen-name to me.

" and had a 130lb running back playing nose guard." OK now we are maybe getting a little better, but... you don't always have to put your biggest strongest guy at NG.  My son played center and he told me the NG that gave him the most problems was the SMALLEST one he lined up against. he was a 225lb center that handle 275lb very good linemen. This NG played for Hopewell couldn't have been 160lbs soaking wet, we are talking 4A ball. So... unless we know the situations even this evaluation may fail.

"A coach who prides himself only to demean young men.". Can you provide some evidence of this?

Dale Ross

--
01/16/2014 10:31 AM
onceArebel in looking over your points I have one comment on the third. I have heard there were only 3 members on the interview process not 4 or 5. He may have been subjected to the same question and answer interview as the other candidates during this process. But were the other candidates on the Sun Valley sideline during their embarrassing playoff loss to AC Reynolds talking and laughing with the Principal and AD? I don't think they were given this inappropriate opportunity to chat with the AD and principal.

I do not know Coach Baucom so I cannot speak of how he conducts himself. I just find it odd that he was at the SV playoff game that night laughing and talking. I guess this is no indication of the good ole boy network. Also since you have inside knowledge please educate me. How many candidates were interviewed? 

In my opinion and I may be proven wrong this is not the right hire at this time for Sun Valley. 

--
01/16/2014 5:37 PM
Ohhhhhh Myyyyyyyy I didn't mean to get everyone all worked up DALE
--
01/16/2014 9:42 PM
You're big ole trouble maker bigpapa!
Dale Ross

--
01/16/2014 9:57 PM
Dale has he taken my place?
--
01/17/2014 9:42 AM
I don't know. He might have moved up to second team however. Lets see how his off-season workouts go.
Dale Ross

Wingnuttz Middle School Middle School Private Message: Posts:1
--
01/18/2014 8:49 AM
Hello,

I was very active in the program was an officer of the now defunct Booster Club that was disbanded by The Administration.
#1 Had 11 Coaches (we had way to many coaches several who really didnt do much at all.) Opinions were never valued or considered.

#2 Had an OC last season who was allowed to finish season but was told he could not come back. An 11 yr veteran of the NFL who was on staff was told he would be The oc next yr another coach was hired from UA under the impression he was the OC. Then a former Head Coach from Parkwood comes to fill the former ADs Job and he comes on stafdf and asserts himself as the OC. After about 3 weeks of coaches not understanding who was what Tad told them he would announce the oc and never did. We never new what offense we were going to run and changed on a weekly basis.

#3 Over All Size and speed. We had more young men over 200lbs this past season on roster since Cata began playing on Roster and since Tad had come on board of which had been working out during the yr in the weight room. We had more speed overall several at 4.8 or better in the 40 than in the history of cata.

#4 130lb running back playing noseguard Really? This young man touched the ball 1 time against South Stanly and scored a TD had never played defense and was certainly not a nose guard. He along with many others played out of position.

#5 prides himself only to demean kids. 2 starters quit do Tads demeaning spirit. Offer criticism but never offer solutions to the critique.

I have never assaulted Tads character how one acts or their belief has nothing to do with coaching, But Tad was not engaged this year anyone on staff as well as parents or fans in the stands will tell you The coach that coached a 5 win season the season before winning the first playoff game in history was absent this past season. and had far better talent.

I would point out this as well Cata is behind the 8 ball UCPS has done a big dis service to this school. We have no practice field and practice between a set of parking lots. We have no stadium to play in. No field house, or storage space. But we have are young Men who are doing the best they can with what they have to work with, and were let down this past season by their leadership both at practice and on the sidelines during games.

At this point it is nothing merely but a bad dream. As I stated I wish nothing but the best For SV and its Student Athletes the talent level should increase due to the lines being redrawn. Time will tell, for the Parents and fans, I have had my time to watch, observe and form an opinion. And what I have stated is my opinion!!

As I stated I do not have to hide behind a computer screen nor do I have to hang up on someone who calls to ask questions about what is happening within our program!!!

pm me Ill be glad to give my name!!!
Hold The Line Private Message: Posts:159
--
01/18/2014 12:09 PM
Been around for a very long time, but can some one tell me why you would hire a coach from UC, who hasn't accomplish much since the 80's. Isn't this the SCC. Im just in disbelief. Gonna be a long time before SV is even close to what they were. Having said all that. I hope Albert can Cary us again. Hope I'm wrong, but I have seen it all in good ole UC.
--
01/18/2014 2:03 PM
SV does not need a bandaid again. They need a proven HC at the 3A-4A level!!! The loss to Monroe was embarrassing. As and yes I respect Monroe. But really SV should have ran all over them. Man its so hard to get Coaches as it is. But come on MAN!!! SV NATION was a great competitive program year after year. Hate Stein is gone. It doesn't take a genius to know Mr. Baucom was not the guy to lead our team. I have nothing against Coach Baucom at all. I'm sure he's a fine man. But their are a lot of good men out their with good intensions. But been around to long to expect he will be competitive after this year after Albert is gone. OK I'm done going off. Good luck SV hoping for the best. I quess we will see soon enough.
--
01/18/2014 6:10 PM
One thing is certain, you'll know quickly. Stein took SV from doormat to contender. SV should be right there at the top of their conference and decent playoff team at minimum.
Dale Ross

--
01/19/2014 10:23 AM
Well I'm back at it again !!!!!

SUN VALLEY NEEDS A LEADER AND A DISCIPLINARIAN BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.................. WE ALSO NEED A FOOTBALL COACH !!!!!!!

I have no doubt about Coach Baucom as a person which is great but I have alot of doubt about Coach Baucom as a football coach ???????

The Head Football Coaches job is to be a person of character and to be and example and to teach his team to be the same BUTTTTTTT........

His job is also to Teach and Coach his team and to prepare them to go out and WIN Football games. Yes it is High School but if You as a Coach don't win football games than YOU won't be the Head Coach for very long !!!!!!!!!

Again CHARACTER wise Tad Baucom from what everyone says is a QUALTY PERSON but based on the other Coaching Candidates that are out there SUN VALLEY got this one wrong again !!!!!!!!

Its a little hard as a community and Fan Base to buy in and to support a coach that has been a Head Coach before with Little Success ???????

What's to to excited about ???????

THANKS AGAIN TO THE 9 Parents that went to the Union County School System whining about COACH STEIN !!!!!!!! 2ND REPLACEMENT COACH AND LOOK WHAT YOU GOT AGAIN ????????? HHHHHHHHAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPYYYYYYYY NOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW ???????? FOOLS !!!!!!
--
01/19/2014 11:23 AM

Its a little hard as a community and Fan Base to buy in and to support a coach that has been a Head Coach before with Little Success ???????

Little success? Monroe was a 2A power during Baucom's years there. He took them to the NCHSAA 2A championship game in 1989, and they consistently went deep in the playoffs during his tenure. As for CATA, tell me who has ever had a lot of success there? It's a magnet school that is not going to draw a lot of top athletes (sorry, onceArebel-- don't shoot the messenger!), and Baucom's two years at CATA were the best record-wise anyone has done in football since the school opened.

Big Papa, you say SV got it wrong. Why don't you give the guy a chance before you make that judgment. Baucom may not be a 'big name' coach, but he is your coach, like it or not, and deserves a chance to prove himself before you chunk him under bus.
--
01/19/2014 11:46 AM

Posted By <a href='http://carolinavarsity.com/UserProfile/tabid/224/userid/7908/Default.aspx' class='af-profile-link'>ref4e</a> on 01/19/2014 11:23 AM

Little success? Monroe was a 2A power during Baucom's years there. He took them to the NCHSAA 2A championship game in 1989, and they consistently went deep in the playoffs during his tenure. As for CATA, tell me who has ever had a lot of success there? It's a magnet school that is not going to draw a lot of top athletes (sorry, onceArebel-- don't shoot the messenger!), and Baucom's two years at CATA were the best record-wise anyone has done in football since the school opened.

Big Papa, you say SV got it wrong. Why don't you give the guy a chance before you make that judgment. Baucom may not be a 'big name' coach, but he is your coach, like it or not, and deserves a chance to prove himself before you chunk him under bus.

I have said all along I HOPE I AM WRONG BUTTTTTT ............ WE SHALL SEE ????????

Don't go back 25 DAMN YEARS to resurface a winning record it's all about now !!!!!'

WE GOT SHAFTED WHEN COACH STEIN WAS LET GO THEN WE GOT SHAFTED WHEN COACH PAUL HALL WAS HIRED AND SAY WHATEVER YOU WANT BUT TAD BAUCOMS. COACHING ABILITIES HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH HIM GETTING THIS JOB AND YOU DAMN WELL KNOW IT !!!!!!

He'll either win or get out because this Fan Base isn't ready to accept another mediocre coach as it's leader !!!! The talent is there and the kids deserve better !!
--
01/19/2014 12:21 PM
I have said all along I HOPE I AM WRONG BUTTTTTT ............ WE SHALL SEE ????????

Don't go back 25 DAMN YEARS to resurface a winning record it's all about now !!!!!'

WE GOT SHAFTED WHEN COACH STEIN WAS LET GO THEN WE GOT SHAFTED WHEN COACH PAUL HALL WAS HIRED AND SAY WHATEVER YOU WANT BUT TAD BAUCOMS. COACHING ABILITIES HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH HIM GETTING THIS JOB AND YOU DAMN WELL KNOW IT !!!!!!

He'll either win or get out because this Fan Base isn't ready to accept another mediocre coach as it's leader !!!! The talent is there and the kids deserve better !

This is my sentiment. If you are involved and have a passion not only for your son or daughter that is playing the game that you played and loved and provided for you an opportunity to get a college education and truly learn the game, then you understand the role as a head football coach and what this person is and who he is. As a football coach you have to access your talent adapt to change and be hands on. Your practice has to be different, you cannot do the same thing everyday and expect a different result. The game of Football has changed the young men today are much bigger and faster then in the 80s. I can remember when Forest Hills was Football in U/C and look at what has happened to this program. Complacency no longer on the cutting edge of offense and defense just basic skill sets.As for Cata I would agree when Tad came he inherited a group of hardworking young men who believed they could win and won 5 games. The talent is at SV and will get better. If you are active within the program watch practice and see the same thing day in day out . Watch the play selection on offense, we all know SV has a great Back so does the schools that SV will play so who are what will the staff do to help this back out? I would agree 100% that Character is important but when the ball is teed off and kicked its the head coach who is engaged and is 1 step ahead of the team across the field that wins football games, not just shear talent!!! A great head coach has a plan sticks to his plan plays hard for 4 qtrs and puts his team and its play makers in a position to win the big game. Is this the hire? Time will tell but from experience I don't think so. Time will tell and the assertion for respect will do 1 of two things it will promote team work or turn athletes off!! For me it has to be earned!! And this can only be accomplished by teaching the game and making the game fun!!! Good Luck to Tad and his Spartan Base
punt Private Message: Posts:97
--
01/20/2014 6:50 PM
I think it is funny that the most fans feel like they should get a BIG NAME coach because they have been to the playoffs the past few years.  Look at PR who had been to the state finals for two straight years and they ended up with a coach that was 7-4 from a 3A school when they thought they would get their pick of coaches. 

I think Coach Baucom will work out fine at SV as I know he is a great man who will always make players better and they will grow up as men as well.
whatcanIsay Sophomore Member Sophomore Member Private Message: Posts:536
--
01/24/2014 6:11 AM
Posted By punt on 01/20/2014 6:50 PM
I think it is funny that the most fans feel like they should get a BIG NAME coach because they have been to the playoffs the past few years.  Look at PR who had been to the state finals for two straight years and they ended up with a coach that was 7-4 from a 3A school when they thought they would get their pick of coaches. 

I think Coach Baucom will work out fine at SV as I know he is a great man who will always make players better and they will grow up as men as well.
Union County will not attract any per say BIG TIME coaching, until they change their ways.  This job is 365 days now.  Coaches ask a lot of themselves and the fans and Administration as well.  But the pay in Union County cannot attract to many successful coaches.  Head coach pay is a shame as well as assistant pay.  Stein had to be AD just to match what he was making in CMS.  Then SV took that job away from the HC.

I know for a FACT, and yes Dale knows who I am and some others, that MR offered their job to a good coach and did throw the AD part in just to try to get him.  But when he asked about getting his kids in the weight room during the school day, needing to bring at least 4 coaches with him, they really did not want to put that into writing.  It is a reason PR lost Hardin.  Pretty much for the same reason.  He is at a school that has mostly all his kids in weight class and gets 12 months pay, plus his coaching pay.

Football has became too demanding and too many complaining parents, too many message boards talking about how someone can and cannot coach.  If you want to judge me, put me in the best situation possible to succeed!!!.  Don't asked me to teach 5 classes and have community coaches. When a teaching job comes open, you do not try to hire a coach that can teach.  I cannot tell how many schools today have PE teachers that do not coach ANYTHING and is taking up a spot.  Back in the 80's and 90's it use to be in some contracts that you had to coach 2 sports. And you could not just come in and resign your coaching job without losing you teaching job.

The good thing here, at least that I read, that this might be a good boy hire.  If, so they will hopefully do everything needed to help the coach be successful.  I was always told in order to be successful, the Administration did not have to give you a lot help, but they didn't need to be doing things to HURT the program.  And when parents comes in complaining, they should have this coach's back, since it was THEIR choice.  

And a look at the proposed redistricting, welcome to the BIG BOYs. 4A ball is not 2A ball.  You have to put that much more time in and definitely have a coaching staff working together and willing to learn and be there ALL SUMMMER to train kids.

And on a side note, not sure if Shuford interviewed at SV or not.  Question is whether they granted him an interview.  Because I do know he interviewed at MR.  So he is not done coaching.  It is known around the coaching profession, if you know who you want, you only bring in some token interviewers just to go through the process.  

--
01/24/2014 10:05 AM
Very well said there whatcanisay.
--
01/24/2014 10:13 AM
+1 whatcanIsay

Coaching is a demanding job. A coach that also teaches, very demanding. The coaching job is a full-time job and should be treated as such. Coaches have a huge impact on the young men that play for them. In some programs they have a huge impact on ~100 kids above the ones they teach in class. I have the greatest respect for all teachers But I feel teachers that also coach any sport should get pay to compensate for their extra time. Some sports are less demanding and require less time. Football is without question the most demanding and is a sport that typically supports all other sports with revenue.
Dale Ross

--
02/04/2014 5:21 PM
We all know its VERY demanding job!! But still I don't think SV Could not have gotten a proven 3A-4A head coach. This good ole boy stuff is probably going to take this program backwards IMO, we will see soon enough. Hope I'm eating my words in 5-10 years. Its a job to build a good program. It only takes a season or two to be on the very bottom!!!!
--
02/09/2014 3:03 PM
Great Video of of the NEW Head Coach of the Spartans on UNION COUNTY FOOTBALL, on 2-6-2014. !!!!!
footballfridays Middle School Middle School Private Message: Posts:1
--
02/24/2014 6:44 PM
If Tad Baucom is such a great coach and great guy why did he have 3 different coaching staffs at Cata the 3 years he was there? And now he is going to SV and has no coaching going with him from his staff. If he is such a great coach and great man then wouldn't he have other coaches that want to stay with him to help him with this great SV program.
--
02/25/2014 7:27 PM
Posted By footballfridays on 02/24/2014 6:44 PM
If Tad Baucom is such a great coach and great guy why did he have 3 different coaching staffs at Cata the 3 years he was there? And now he is going to SV and has no coaching going with him from his staff. If he is such a great coach and great man then wouldn't he have other coaches that want to stay with him to help him with this great SV program.
Not sure anyone can answer the first question.    CATA is not a great magnet for football players, and likely not for coaches either.  

As for assistant coaches going with him from CATA to Sun Valley, it's not that easy.....there must be teaching slots open in the assistants' teaching fields, and the administration has to agree to it as well.   Plus, if there are already assistant coaches in place at SV who want to continue, you don't just turn your back on them.

--
02/26/2014 8:28 PM
Posted By ref4e on 02/25/2014 7:27 PM
Posted By footballfridays on 02/24/2014 6:44 PM
Not sure anyone can answer the first question.    CATA is not a great magnet for football players, and likely not for coaches either.  

As for assistant coaches going with him from CATA to Sun Valley, it's not that easy.....there must be teaching slots open in the assistants' teaching fields, and the administration has to agree to it as well.   Plus, if there are already assistant coaches in place at SV who want to continue, you don't just turn your back on them.

The first question can be answered. 2 of his assis. Coaches were on staff at cata 1 from the start of the season the other a late comer. you do not have to be a teacher or on any school staff to coach, You do however have to be on the approved list to volunteer which includes an application and a background check that is to standard and be approved by the Principal of the said school. There is a small salary for this type of staffing. Not sure any of the staff were invited or would want to coach at SV. The above is per UCPS policy as approved volunteers or coaches which is the same for subs in the classroom!!!
You are not authorized to post a reply.

Mark your Calendar

Minimize
No events to display.
Membership Membership:
Latest New User Latest: VTO Sports
Past 24 Hours Past 24 Hours: 0
Prev. 24 Hours Prev. 24 Hours: 0
User Count Overall: 3579

People Online People Online:
Visitors Visitors: 48
Members Members: 0