Welcome to CarolinaVarsity.com Forums

PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 10/31/2017 7:58 PM by  Boxman
The official Carolina Varsity BBQ Thread!
 142 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 3 << < 123
Author Messages

Dale Ross
Site Admin

--
11/12/2008 9:02 AM

Mac's good, I eat there about 3 times a month. Still think Bill Spoons is superior and Jim 'N Nicks is probably very close to Mac's. I've only eaten t the Mac's on South Blvd. But I understand it is similar to the one at Lake Norman.

Randy

--
11/12/2008 11:46 AM
Posted By Dale Ross on 11/12/2008 9:02 AM

Mac's good, I eat there about 3 times a month. Still think Bill Spoons is superior and Jim 'N Nicks is probably very close to Mac's. I've only eaten t the Mac's on South Blvd. But I understand it is similar to the one at Lake Norman.

i didn't think Spoons was even close but i like the thicker texture of mac's and the sides at mac's but then i only did spoons that one time w/ you....i need to try it again

where is 'jim n nicks' at ?

thx for letting me know there's a mac's at the lake, i didn't know

we should do one of our cv.com get togethers at mac's

asu225

--
09/01/2009 8:16 PM
We ate at the BBQ Shack in Thomasville last Friday. I thought it was pretty good. Anyone else ever eaten there?

Dale Ross
Site Admin

--
09/01/2009 8:19 PM

I've never eaten there. Is it Lexington style?

Have you tried Jim 'N Nicks yet?

asu225

--
09/01/2009 8:24 PM
Yes, Lexington style. Located just minutes from Thomasville stadium. I would rank it better than average. I've not been to Jim'N Nicks. We were just a little early, saw this place and stopped in.

Dale Ross
Site Admin

--
09/01/2009 8:25 PM

Shealy's Bar-B-Que House
http://www.shealysbbq.com/
Batesburg-Leesville, SC

It has been years since I have eaten there, probably 16 years in fact. It is a buffet style and you sit at big tables. They have a number of items on the buffet including fish, chicken, ribs and of course pulled pork. They now serve both a mustard style and a vinegar and pepper style. Eat yoru fill, it is all good. And they have some very good deserts as well. It is worth the visit if you are in the area. I drove out of my way, 26 miles to treat my youngest son who had picked me up at the Columbia Airport.

asu225

--
09/01/2009 8:30 PM
Sounds good, there are certainly some outstanding BBQ joints in SC. I have relatives that run a place in Blackville. Buffet style too.

Dale Ross
Site Admin

--
09/01/2009 9:25 PM
Where is Blackville?

asu225

--
09/01/2009 9:50 PM
I believe it is Dukes on Highway 3.

Dale Ross
Site Admin

--
09/01/2009 11:10 PM
OK But where is Blackville?

asu225

--
09/01/2009 11:15 PM
Oh, about 45 minutes south-southwest of Columbia.

Dale Ross
Site Admin

--
01/17/2010 11:01 AM

Big Bob Gibson Bar-BQ
1507 West Roosevelt Boulevard
Monroe, NC
http://www.bigbobgibsonbbq.com 

Man is this stuff good! My new favorite place. I had eaten at their location in Alabama, but that was maybe 10 years ago.

I will rank the meats I tasted:

Pork: This IS AWARD winning pork. Some of the best you'll eat anywhere.

Smoked Turkey: very-very good

Spare Ribs: I normally do not like Spare Ribs. These ribs are a bit smaller, closer to baby back. Very meaty and very-very tasty

Baby Back Ribs: Similar in quality to the spare ribs.

Brisket: It was OK. maybe it was the fact that we had it so late in the day. It was a bit dried out.

Sides:

Baked Beans: Awesome

Potato Salad: Good

Hush Puppies: AWESOME-AWESOME-AWESOME

Texas Toast: A little better than Good

Dale Ross
Site Admin

--

jjsphotos

--
05/30/2010 5:45 PM

anything NOT to miss in raleigh - specifically southeast while at walnut creek for state softball championships

Dale Ross
Site Admin

--
06/04/2010 4:22 PM

hmmm... there is a Lancaster's in Garner and Carolina Barbecue which if I remember correctly has AWESOME banana pudding!

Dale Ross
Site Admin

--
07/15/2010 8:50 PM

Firery Ron's Home Team BBQ
2209 Middle Street
Sullivans Island, SC 29482
843-883-3131
http://www.hometeambbq.com

They also have a location in Charleston...

This the BEST BBQ I've had in South Carolina. We started the evening out with wings... they grill the wings but do them crispy. Man those are awesome wings. then came the cue...

I had Pulled Pork and Ribs, my son had Pulled Pork and Brisket... The Pulled Pork was awesome, the ribs were wonderful and the Brisket was some of the best I've had outside of Texas! Pulled pork is un-sauced so you can do that yourself. They have multiple types of sauce. Everything from South Carolina mustard base, Alabama white sauce and several North Carolina style sauces - Lexington, kind of an Eastern and a Western -

This place get a very High ODad rating. 8.5

Dale Ross
Site Admin

--
07/15/2010 8:55 PM

Hursey's BBQ
Graham, NC

I ate their today, first time in many-many years.  So I thought I'd add it to the list here. They do good BBQ but I am not a fan of the sauces used in the Greensboro-Burlington area. It is a sweet red sauce. But it is one of the best of the Greensboro-Burlington style BBQ houses you'll eat at.

ODad rating 7.5

jjsphotos

--
07/20/2010 4:46 PM

spring lake / fort bragg area? any suggestions?

Dale Ross
Site Admin

--
07/20/2010 8:50 PM

Oh my... my guess is that you'l find a Smithfields in the area. I'll do a little searching. Smithfields is not the best but it is pretty good. I'll try to find something better but none jump out from memory.

Dale Ross
Site Admin

--
07/24/2010 3:27 PM
I wonder what the new folks will think about Mac's?

Dale Ross
Site Admin

--
08/25/2010 10:22 PM

First I'll write about Kyle Fletcher's in Gastonia... JJ, Blues and I ate there before the Gaston County Jamboree at Ashbrook. Sorry I have not written already...

If you want BBQ and you are in Gatonia... drive to Charotte. The BBQ was OK and that is about it. Nothing to write home about or... to write like the next review I'll give.

Dale Ross
Site Admin

--
08/27/2010 9:14 AM

Scott's Walk-Up Bar-B-Q
206 N. Tennessee Street
Cartersville, GA 30120
770-382-1600
http://www.ScottsWalkUpBBQ.com

Oh my, this stuff is GOOD. REAL GOOD... Some of the BEST BBQ I've had in Georgia and some of the best anywhere.  It's an older building and you might bypass considering their is a nicer brick building down the street for Slope's BBQ. However, the locals know best and we were pointed to Scott's.

The meats... I had pulled pork and three ribs. The ribs were simply put, AWESOME. Smoked to the point of fall of the bone spare ribs. Everything about the ribs were great. The Sauce was a think dark red/brown sauce for the ribs that wasn't too sweet.

The pulled pork goes right along with the ribs comment, awesome. Smoked and un-sauced. They had a NC sauce that was closer to Lexington Style than Eastern. I loved it.

My sides were Brunswick Stew - which was like the pork, awesome. And Potato Salad. Sorry I can not give it better than an OK. the others had slaw and said it was really good. So my next tirp I'll try the slaw.

My ODad 9.0

Dale Ross
Site Admin

--
11/15/2010 11:27 PM

Well I finally got to add the best to my BBQ wall of menus. Since I started collecting menus I have not eaten at Germantown Commissary in Germantown, TN - outside Memphis. Well friend I just had a short trip to Memphis and was able to eat their my second night. I believe that I've said this before but I'll say it again. Most peopel hear about Rendevous in downtown Memphis. Folks, Germantown Commissary beats Rendevous hands down.

Germantown Commissary
www.commissarybbq.com/
2290 Germantown Road South
Germantown, TN 38138
(901) 754-5540

This time I had three meats, Pulled Pork, Ribs and Sausage. Sides Potato salad and Barbecue beans.

The meats

Each of the meats are awesome-awesome-awesome. This is my favorite BBQ Joint. Yes I love me some Eastern North Carolina BBQ and Lexington Style but this WOW. This stuff is so good it will make you slap your mama. I love sausage and man is theirs good. Three meats is a lot for a person to eat, go hungry. the ribs almost fall off the bone. They are spare ribs but smoked and sauced to taste better than baby back. More beat, great taste. The pulled pork literally melts in you rmouth. I love it when Pork is cooked so that it is so tender. And you can taste the smoke.

The potato salad come wih half a boild egg stuffed with ptotao salad. I have to say this is the potato salad I've had in any restauarnt. I love potato Salad. Yum

The Barbecue beans are really good but I cannot say they are the best I've had. I really like Jim 'N Nicks BBQ beans.

Yes the menus are ranked in order of my preference. I do have a few more menus to add.

asu225

--
11/15/2010 11:34 PM
I know you're not a fan but we ate Maurice's in Irmo Friday, still one of my favorites.

Dale Ross
Site Admin

--
11/15/2010 11:43 PM

oh I've eaten many times at Maurices in Irmo. Turn left at the light there is the stadium turn right there is Maurices. I like Maurices, I just like Sheeley's in Lexington better. Maurice's has an AWESOME banana pudding.

Did you know that there is a Maurices in Rock Hill?

Three awesome things about Maurices:

1. Hash - man that stuff is good

2. Banana Pudding

3. Pork Skins

asu225

--
11/15/2010 11:48 PM
I have been to the one in Rock Hill but not often, just isn't the same as being around Columbia. Hash is very good. He also has a brother with some stores, I've been to the one on 17 in Charleston many times.

Dale Ross
Site Admin

--
11/16/2010 12:10 AM

I was reading back over some of the old entries... I've eaten at every Maurices I think. The one in West Columbia is the original. have you eaten there?

Dale Ross
Site Admin

--
11/16/2010 12:16 AM

I stayed in Olive Branch, MS when I was working in Memphis at the Holiday Inn Express. Next to it is the Old Style BBQ. I've written about it before. Nothing has changed. It is ok, nothing special. Make the drive to Germantown and eat at the Commissary.

asu225

--
11/16/2010 12:21 AM
Yes, I've been to the West Columbia location. The one on 321 in Cayce is the original I think. It is the one where you order from your car, Sonic style. Been there MANY time. I was on their website, they must have 10-12 locations around the state.

Dale Ross
Site Admin

--
11/16/2010 12:23 AM
You are correct, Cayce is the original. My bad. I was thinking of ordering from car but had West Columbia on the brain. Some of the locations are piggy parks, drive through only. I think.. I've not been on the website in a while.

Dale Ross
Site Admin

--
11/16/2010 10:09 PM
Smokey Bones In Clearwater, FL again...

westmeckindian4ever

--
11/17/2010 3:07 PM
Dale you ever had one of Cook Out's BBQ sandwiches. It's actually not bad.

Dale Ross
Site Admin

--
11/17/2010 5:30 PM

You are kidding me right? LOL

Barbecue Tray, Double Corn Dogs with a Cheerwine, make that a HUGE cheerwine...

That is my standing order. Which gets filled more times than I can count during a week.

westmeckindian4ever

--
11/18/2010 7:55 AM
The one I go to you have to tell them to go easy on the slaw though!! Reminds me of a West Meck BBQ sandwich back in the day. What about former West Meck Indian David Carter's joint- Old Hickory House?

picman
Freshman Member
Freshman Member

--
11/18/2010 6:05 PM
Alston Bridges Shelby NC

Dale Ross
Site Admin

--
11/18/2010 10:00 PM

Yes... of course there are several Bridges in Shelby but I assume you know that too

I have not eaten at Bridges in a long time.

westmeckindian4ever

--
12/01/2010 9:52 AM
Hickory House is damn good. He is a little bit high though.

Dale Ross
Site Admin

--
06/24/2012 3:43 PM

Chuck Wagon BBQ
8982 Madison Boulevard
Madison, AL 35758‎
(256) 772-5179

In Alabama you have Dreamland BBQ and that is what the people there call great BBQ. Now don’t get me wrong, it is good stuff. However, in Madison, AL which is next to Huntsville, AL there is a place called Chuck Wagon BBQ. I’ve eaten here many times now. And I’ve had:

Ribs – They are awesome, big meaty, smoky. Just all around great ribs.

Pulled Pork – They do the butt, and it is very good. They even have a Vinegar sauce close to a Lexington, NC style. The pork is moist, smoky… just awesome.

Brisket – I am not a fan of Brisket. However, I eat it in places that claim to have great brisket just to see. Chuck Wagon BBQ I supposed to be Texas style so, I had to try it. Actually have eaten it twice just to let you know how good I think it is!

Sausage – I pick the spicy version they offer; I have not tried the regular. I love sausage and this stuff is awesome.

Smoked Baked Beans – talk about good. Man is this stuff ever so good. It sits waiting to be served right beside where he cuts the meats. After cutting meat he pushes all the leftover into the beans.

Potato Salad – They actually have a very good potato salad!

Their Tea is very good both unsweet and sweet.

I had Cheery pie on one occasion and it was wonderful!

Urbanspoon and Yelp had it is a 4.5 and I'd say that is solid. One of the best places I've eaten at anywhere.

Boxman

--
10/29/2017 7:02 PM
https://

Dale Ross
Site Admin

--
10/30/2017 8:36 PM
Thank you Don! One of my favorite songs. I play it for people that want an understanding of the different style. BTW, you'll have to join me at The Smoke Pit in Concord sometime. Lets work it out.

Boxman

--
10/31/2017 7:17 AM
Great idea! Let me know when you are in town!

Dale Ross
Site Admin

--
10/31/2017 5:58 PM
OK, we will make this happen. I love that place.

Boxman

--
10/31/2017 7:58 PM
10-4
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 3 << < 123

Membership Membership:
Latest New User Latest: CougarDad#77
Past 24 Hours Past 24 Hours: 0
Prev. 24 Hours Prev. 24 Hours: 0
User Count Overall: 4084

People Online People Online: