Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

Dale Ross
Site Admin

--
07/07/2008 11:07 PM

Who here rides the train?

Today I took the train from Charlotte to Greensboro. The main reason I this was to save money on my flight to Tampa. Flying from Charlotte to Tampa and back was almost $1,000. Yet I can fly out of Greensboro back to Charlotte, connect on the same flight going to Tampa and then fly back to Charlotte for $719. If I had flown back into Greensboro the saving would have been even greater! However, my plan for Tuesday evening is to attend a 7-on-7; so I don’t have time to travel back from Greensboro to Charlotte.

In addition I had business I could address in Greensboro, so it made sense to go there and fly to Tampa.

For $15 I purchased a ticket from Charlotte to Greensboro. An additional $8 put me in business class. The drive from Charlotte to Greensboro would have cost almost $15 dollars just for gas! The train stopped in Kannapolis, Salisbury and High Point.

The only hassle was after I arrived in Greensboro someone had to pick me up. And then when it was time to go to the airport someone had to drive me there. I need to work those details out because I’d like to do this more often.

Greensboro has a nice train station; Charlotte is the pits compared to Greensboro.

Riding up to Greensboro I couldn’t help but notice how far behind the US is compared to Japan in mass transit. The trains between cities in Japan are electric and they are fast and smooth. The first class seats are also very comfortable; big seats for a Japanese person and a nice size seats for an American, even a big guy like me!

I am curious if anyone else is taking or has considered taking the train for the travels?

jjsphotos

--
    07/08/2008 11:41 AM
    i was looking at taking one to baltimore - didnt consider the train/plane combo. time and gas are about the same train to car - cept someone else drives

Dale Ross
    Site Admin

--
    07/08/2008 1:46 PM

Gas is about the same Gastonia to Baltimore. If you get ~20MPG. Don't try going via train in the next week or so by train. Looks like just about everything is sold out!

Plane could be very costly right now.

jjsphotos

--
    07/08/2008 3:05 PM
    end of september but i dont have the time off at work anymore to go * highway my thunderbird is over 25 mpg made it from the north part of charlotte to wvu on a tank of gas

sherryvan
    Middle School
    Middle School

--
    01/02/2019 3:05 AM
    I have to admit that the most important reason for my train travel is the cheap train ticket. Especially if you travel a short distance and you don't have to pay for the baggage. If your train travels for more than 24 hours, you can save some of the hotel room costs. But long-distance trains are very tiring, especially on the shoulders and back. You can't find the right posture. Remember that if you want to travel by train, it is necessary to bring a travel pillow.

Dale Ross
    Site Admin

--
    01/05/2019 2:46 AM
    Unless of course you're in a sleeper car
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Membership Membership:
    Latest New User Latest: HinaEni
    Past 24 Hours Past 24 Hours: 1
    Prev. 24 Hours Prev. 24 Hours: 1
    User Count Overall: 4242

People Online People Online: