Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

Trell
Middle School
Middle School

--
10/08/2007 10:06 PM

Several months ago, Delano gave the top 25 high school football players in the area.  Who would you all say are the top 25 players? of the 1980s adn the 1990s?

DoubleLDub

--
    10/09/2007 4:42 PM
    That depends on which area you are talking about. Let's expand it and say the top players in the state.

Dale Ross
    Site Admin

--
    10/10/2007 2:10 AM

And limited to 80-99? You couldn't go back into the 70's eh?

Ok I am compiling a list. It is going to be long...

Trell
    Middle School
    Middle School

--
    10/10/2007 2:53 PM

I am not from Charlotte and I have only been in the area for 8 years.  So, I thought that I would go back to the years from your "Where are They Now" period.  Not quite old enough to appreciate the the athletes of the 70's.  But, I think that your suggestion would be interesting to see.

Dale Ross
    Site Admin

--
    10/10/2007 9:57 PM

Ok I am going to start with these guys and FORCE some others to post something here! The pre-80's guys I'll add their years

Randy Rhino RB Olympic High School (1970) - also South Mecklenburg High School 1969 -
    Mark Tuck DL East Mecklenburg (1977) 
    Rocky White QB Olympic High school (1977) - I add this for reaction from coach white -
    Mike Eppley QB Harding High School (1979)
    CJ Leak QB Independence High School
    Mark Maye QB Independence High School - First Parade All-American from Charlotte -
    Steve Shipp WR West Charlotte
    Thabiti Davis WR Olympic High School
    Fred Staton RB West Charlotte
    Maceo Bolin QB West Mecklenburg
    Brian Knuckles RB West Charlotte

DoubleLDub

--
    10/11/2007 3:59 PM

Darius Brewington ATH T.W. Andrews
    Concho Brown WR Parkland
    Daleo Dodd WR Carver
    Kenny Shaw RB T.W. Andrews
    Maurice Mebane WR Burlington Cummings
    Andre Weathers QB High Point Central
    Donnie Davis QB Burlington Cummings
    Johnny Evans ATH T.W. Andrews
    Ted Brown RB T.W. Andrews
    Lamont Pegues RB Thomasville

Dale Ross
    Site Admin

--
    10/11/2007 5:09 PM

Kind of out of the area he was calling for but let's do that... include the state.

I am going back in time...

Ted Brown RB TW Andrews ~1977???

I have more but want others to submit something!

Dale Ross
    Site Admin

--
    10/11/2007 11:01 PM

OK I am digging for people to come up with some names... how about a great running back that played in Lexington?

oldskoolR8er
    Freshman Member
    Freshman Member

--
    10/12/2007 11:33 AM
    Posted By DoubleLDub on 10/11/2007 3:59 PM

Darius Brewington ATH T.W. Andrews
    Concho Brown WR Parkland
    Daleo Dodd WR Carver
    Kenny Shaw RB T.W. Andrews
    Maurice Mebane WR Burlington Cummings
    Andre Weathers QB High Point Central
    Donnie Davis QB Burlington Cummings
    Johnny Evans ATH T.W. Andrews
    Ted Brown RB T.W. Andrews
    Lamont Pegues RB Thomasville

I'm really feeling this list, played with and against quite a few on it.

btango

--
    10/13/2007 11:02 AM

Good list Double.  Brewington could flat out fly!  one of the best 3A teams I have seen in 1991 when they handled Brown.  Shaw was a good back also on that squad.  Shaw went to UVa I think but Brewington did not play after high school did he? 

Maurice Mebane.  Man among boys whether on the hardwood or gridiron.  He also had issues and did not play after high school (or not much).  Any info?  Donnie Davis threw it to him and he was a smooth operator.

Ted Brown is the best running back to play in the ACC!  That includes Florida State, Miami, and Va Tech players that have also played in the league.  He was the complete package.  Johnny Evans father would teach you drivers ed while diagramming plays.  Evans played qb and punter in high school.  Played running back at NC State until the incumbent graduated and then he played qb.  What a punter!

Dale the running back from Lexington was the Big Mac Attack!!!  Joe MacIntosh.  He could do it all on the football field.  In the state semifinals he made a long run and got creamed on the sidelines.  Lexington went for a field goal to win and he was literally walked out to the ball and lined up to kick it through.  They were manhandled the next week by Williams for the title though.

btango

--
    10/13/2007 11:16 AM

This is a list I have kept for several years and updated through 2005.  At the bottom I added the players that would be on the list from the 2006 season.

The following are the best players from North Carolina in order that I personally saw play for their high school team, not Shrine Bowl or East West game.

QB: Chris Leak/Joe Cox/Donnie Davis/Mark Maye/Heath Shuler

RB: Toney Baker/TA McLendon/Andre Brown/Nick Maddox/Flip Ellerbe/Anthony Barbour

WR: Mohamed Massaquoi/Steve Shipp/Mario Raley/Maurice Staley/Hakeem Nicks

TE: Oscar Sturgis/Maurice Mebane

DB: Calvin Lowery/Michael Waddell/Robert Boulware/Randy Jones/Rod Council

LB + DE: Dannell Ellerbe/Omar Gaither/Sherrod Peace/Shamar Feeney/DeAngelo Lloyd/Rickey Smith/Renaldo Moses/Marcus Hands/Antwan Marsh/Derrick Chambers/Wali Rainier/James Hamilton/Brandon Spikes

P: Mike Thomas

K: Chris Hinkebein/Tyler Lewis

RS: Goo Wyatt/Michael Waddell

Multi: Antonio Goss/Nate Robinson/Willie Davis/Cooter Arnold/Travis Lee/
    Nick Starcevic/Monterio Hardesty/Kenny Moore/Willie Davis/Tony Scott/Marcus Ellerbe/
    Charles Briggs/Chris Ramseur/Corey Alexander/Donnie Bryant/Goo Wyatt/Stefan Cameron/Kenny Shaw/Darius Brewington/Joe McIntosh/Aundrae Allison/
    Rashad Tindall/Mario Crowe/Bradley Davis/Joe Lagarde/Tahibiti Davis/Keith Belton

If you ever saw TA McLendon (SS) and Toney Baker (LB) play defense you know that they could bring it big time. A former college all American db told me I would love to see McLendon at linebacker.

Flip Ellerbe did not have big numbers, but if it is 4th and whatever and I am running the ball I would give it to him.

Some of the dbs should be considered multi or athletes, but I remember Lowery and Waddell more for the defensive play, although the Rabbit stuck it to West Charlotte on both sides of the ball.

That is alot of players, but it is nice to remember them. Some did not play in college. Some played in the NFL. Some I don't really know. So many more that I have not seen.

Weslye Saunders

Melvin Ingram

Travarian Robertson

Travian Sturdivant

Quan Sturdivant

Barquell Rivers

Jay Wooten

Dale Ross
    Site Admin

--
    10/13/2007 11:24 AM

Ted Brown had a long career with the Minnesota Vikings.

Johnny Evans also made it to the NFL.

Another NFL player that was a great Wide Reciever, Pro Bowl and had his number retired - I believe -  comes from a school just east of Charlotte. He was a real "Quick" player.

Dale Ross
    Site Admin

--
    10/13/2007 12:09 PM

I have to add to that 2006 list (Seniors)

Daryl Vereen RB North Mecklenburg
    Ben Herlocker RB Charlotte Catholic
    Ryan Houston RB Butler

How about a few more older guys - trying to add some I do not see listed - I'll add more but would lke to see them added by OTHERS.

Anthony Houston QB Harding
    Alvin Pearman RB Country Day
    Andrew Pearman RB Providence
    Kendric Williams RB Hopewell
    Duwuan Burton QB Olympic/West Charlotte
    David Green QB West Charlotte

btango you should list where some of those players played. for example how many people are going to remember Donnie Davis? Only us "older folks". You don' thave to be too old to remember him.

oldskoolR8er
    Freshman Member
    Freshman Member

--
    10/13/2007 12:50 PM
    Posted By btango on 10/13/2007 11:02 AM

Good list Double.  Brewington could flat out fly!  one of the best 3A teams I have seen in 1991 when they handled Brown.  Shaw was a good back also on that squad.  Shaw went to UVa I think but Brewington did not play after high school did he? 

Unfortunately Kenny Shaw never played another down of football after High School, you're thinking of Sam McKiver who went on to attend UVa.

btango

--
    10/14/2007 7:44 PM
    Posted By btango on 10/13/2007 11:16 AM

I listed the players high school after the names.

QB: Chris Leak Indy/Joe Cox Indy/Donnie Davis Cummings/Mark Maye Indy/Heath Shuler Swain

RB: Toney Baker Ragsdale/TA McLendon Albemarle/Andre Brown Rose/Nick Maddox Brown/Flip Ellerbe Richmond/Anthony Barbour Garner

WR: Mohamed Massaquoi Indy/Steve Shipp West Charlotte/Mario Raley Indy/Maurice Staley West Charlotte/Hakeem Nicks Indy

TE: Oscar Sturgis Richmond/Maurice Mebane Cummings

DB: Calvin Lowery Byrd/Michael Waddell Richmond/Robert Boulware Vance/Randy Jones Richmond/Rod Council West Charlotte

LB + DE: Dannell Ellerbe Richmond/Omar Gaither MP/Sherrod Peace Northern Durham/Shamar Feeney Crest/DeAngelo Lloyd Indy/Rickey Smith Thomasville/Renaldo Moses Richmond/Marcus Hands Laney/Antwan Marsh Anson/Derrick Chambers Burns/Wali Rainier West Charlotte/James Hamilton Richmond/Brandon Spikes Crest

P: Mike Thomas Richmond

K: Chris Hinkebein Providence /Tyler Lewis Albemarle

RS: Goo Wyatt Lincolnton/Michael Waddell Richmond

Multi: Antonio Goss Randleman/Nate Robinson Richmond/Willie Davis Laney/Cooter Arnold Davie/Travis Lee Crest/Nick Starcevic Catholic/Monterio Hardesty New Bern/Kenny Moore Butler/Tony Scott Burns/Marcus Ellerbe Richmond/
    Charles Briggs Lincolnton/Chris Ramseur Maiden/Corey Alexander Mooresville/Donnie Bryant Starmount/Goo Wyatt Lincolnton/Stefan Cameron Northern Durham/Kenny Shaw Andrews/Darius Brewington Andrews/Joe McIntosh Lexington/Aundrae Allison Brown/
    Rashad Tindall Laney/Mario Crowe Indy/Bradley Davis Indy/Joe Lagarde East Forsyth/Tahibiti Davis Olympic/Keith Belton West Charlotte

Weslye Saunders Durham Riverside

Melvin Ingram Richmond

Travarian Robertson Scotland

Travian Sturdivant Anson

Quan Sturdivant West Stanly

Barquell Rivers Anson

Jay Wooten Scotland

I did not list linemen.  I watch the line play obviously but I never played it and do not grasp the finer points of it.  Sturdivant from Anson last year was dominate in the Richmond game and I listed him.

Dale Ross
    Site Admin

--
    10/14/2007 8:04 PM

DoubleLDub, why did you leave Adrian Wilson off your list? He had a nice walk down in the panthers game today.

DoubleLDub

--
    10/15/2007 9:10 AM
    Posted By Dale Ross on 10/14/2007 8:04 PM

DoubleLDub, why did you leave Adrian Wilson off your list? He had a nice walk down in the panthers game today.

I was trying to stay within the time frame given (80's-90's). I could've added plenty more.

Dale Ross
    Site Admin

--
    10/15/2007 11:28 AM
    Dude, he is within THAT time frame.

TPack
    Sophomore Member
    Sophomore Member

--
    10/15/2007 3:16 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vL19q8yL54
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA3JBgdOFfc&mode=related&search=

a couple youtube links for you. The first one is Adrian Wilson jumping over a 66 inch high pole. The second is one of his hard hits from back when he played at State.
    Don't be afraid of Success.

Dale Ross
    Site Admin

--
    10/15/2007 4:27 PM
    OK no one has named:

Mike Quick WR Richmond

DoubleLDub

--
    10/15/2007 10:43 PM
    Posted By Dale Ross on 10/15/2007 11:28 AM
    Dude, he is within THAT time frame.

You're right, was just stuck on those 80's players for some reason.

btango

--
    10/16/2007 11:20 AM

We spoke about him the other night Dale.  I should have chimed in here.  The thing about Mike QUick is he could run and catch but he would knock your head off blocking down field.  Very physical and aggressive.  Great track man in high school also.  NC State and long career with the Philadelphia Eagles.

DoubleLDub

--
    10/21/2007 11:27 AM
    Brian Williams RB SW Guilford

DoubleLDub

--
    10/21/2007 11:28 AM
    ^Played against in high school, and was a teammate of Adrian Wilson at NC State.

TPack
    Sophomore Member
    Sophomore Member

--
    10/21/2007 5:46 PM
    This the same Brian Williams that went on to play CB in the NFL? I think he's with the Jaguars now.
    Don't be afraid of Success.

btango

--
    10/21/2007 8:15 PM

I put out an APB on Mike Quick Friday night Dale.

That would be a good "Where Are They Now" article for your assistant.  You can probably get a contact number via NC State with your association or media creds.

Dale Ross
    Site Admin

--
    10/21/2007 8:51 PM
    Mike Quick... what a player he was. And he is one of my all-time favorites to come through NC State.

BoyFromTheSouth
    Freshman Member
    Freshman Member

--
    09/24/2008 9:38 AM
    Roman Phifer, played at south meck, won a super bowl with the patriots (against the panthers) as a starting LB.

GoWonders!

--
    11/03/2008 3:10 PM

Does anyone have the complete list from Delano?

Queencityballer
    Sophomore Member
    Sophomore Member

--
    08/27/2013 1:34 PM
    Great High School Players in CM in 80' and 90's. Sure to have left some good ones off. Not too many records from the 80's and early 90's still stand but these guys were good..and held some of those records at one time.

Mike Eppley-Harding-Clemson
    Steve Griffin-South-Clemson
    Kelvin Crooms-South-NC State
    Mark Maye-Indy-NFL
    Roman Pfeifer-South-UCLA-NFL
    Maurice Flowers-EM-?
    Chad Grier-Latin-Richmond,ECU
    Reggie Clark-PDay-UNC-NFL
    Anthony Houston-Harding
    Chip Ferguson-Indy-Spartanburg-Florida State
    Mo Collins-WC-Florida-NFL
    Boo Hood-Catholic
    Tony Horton-East-NC State
    Vee Hood-Catholic
    Ritchie Melchor-?
    Stephen Pharr-CCDS-Georgia Tech-NFL
    Shane hykes-South-Juco
    Maurice Staley-WC-Tennessee
    Steve Shipp-Florida
    Mario Crowe-Indy-Catawba
    David Green-WC-Duke
    Pep Hamilton-WC-?
    Maceo Bolin-West Meck-NC A&T
    Mario Grier-Indy-Clemson
    Jeff Conger-Latin-pro baseball
    Carlos Horton-East-Appalachian
    Larry Blanton-South-Clemson-transfer
    Randolph Slade-South-?
    Colin Harris-South-Juco-NC State-?
    Raley-Indy
    Mossoquai-Indy-UGA-NFL
    **every receiver during the Indy run

***best youth football players that didn't pan out

Antwan Byers-Southpark-South
    Derrick Crowder-The Plaza-?

Ladge

--
    08/27/2013 9:46 PM
    Mike Cofer CCDS K -NCSU - couple super bowls with San Fran

Catholic guys of the 80's (besides me... haha)

Boo went on to play at New Mexico State
    Vee was set to go to Western Carolina
    Chris Kouri FB All Ivy league at Yale
    Andy Hearn C Georgia Tech 1st shrine bowl player for Oddo
    Derrick Taylor RB/DB actually better college career- NCSU Defensive MVP for the 86 Peach Bowl

99creelz
    Freshman Member
    Freshman Member

--
    09/01/2013 8:56 PM
    How about Raymond Phillips from North Meck- NC State-drafted by Denver and played with the Eagles for a short time.

Dale Ross
    Site Admin

--
    09/01/2013 9:19 PM
    Yes! +1 on Raymond Phillips. Good call.

Dale Ross
    Site Admin

--
    11/03/2015 10:02 PM
    I saw this thread mentioned on Twitter tonight...

Dale Ross
    Site Admin

--
    12/07/2016 11:22 AM
    Push this back up...

pleebee3
    Middle School
    Middle School

--
    02/27/2017 3:32 PM

Dale I see you put Rocky White on this list, how about his brother Foy who played quarterback at Wake?

Dale Ross
    Site Admin

--
    02/27/2017 7:21 PM
    Yes Foy should be put on the list. Honestly should have gotten back to the "list".

One of the problems with these lists is that we tend to apply what the players did after High School. this doesn't apply to Foy. It is also sometimes hard to pick out a player because of the record of their team..

How about Mark Dragg West Mecklenburg and Clemson - All-ACC - D-Lineman.

Jim West

--
    02/28/2017 7:29 PM
    My high school Trigonometry teacher graduated high school at Garinger with Dwight Clark. How was Dwight Clark as a high school football player?

Dale Ross
    Site Admin

--
    02/28/2017 9:49 PM
    My only answer is that he was good enough to get a rid at Clemson. I'm old but he's older honestly, all I can say is that remember his name sometimes being mentioned or reading about him in the paper. Only High School football games I went to when he was in High School were Harding games. We need someone older than me to speak to that.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Membership Membership:
    Latest New User Latest: Mint Hill
    Past 24 Hours Past 24 Hours: 1
    Prev. 24 Hours Prev. 24 Hours: 0
    User Count Overall: 3956

People Online People Online:
    Visitors Visitors: 491
    Members Members: 1
    Total Total: 492

Online Now Online Now:
    Online Jim West